confused about 1098-t for fellowship

closetgeek

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to file my taxes (cutting it close, I know!) and I'm confused about how to report my fellowship. I started receiving my fellowship in the fall, and I received a W-2 for being a GRA before this. I reported my W-2, and then filled out the 1098-t form.  The only form the school has given me for the fellowship is the 1098-t form. I've done my taxes on turbotax and it says I owe money and H & R block says I'm receiving money, so I'm doing something wrong one one of these! Am I supposed to report the income I received from the fellowship elsewhere? 

Thanks!

I'm in the EXACT same boat! Someone please help this fetus (me) file his first tax return. On Turbotax I'm getting money back ($63 NY), but I'm afraid I didn't fill this out right because many of my classmates said they had to pay taxes- also, my fellowship went straight into my bank account untaxed. Doesn't that mean I should owe money? I followed the directions and reported the fellowship money under "Scholarship listed on 1098-T," but that did nothing to my refund/penalty score...

Edited by elietrask

The best way I've found to report a taxable fellowship stipend in TurboTax is to report it as a "fellowship not listed on a 1098-T" (even if it was). Then when you proceed you should see a Yes/No checkbox asking if you were required to complete an internship or other service position for this fellowship (this would be "No" for most fellowships I would think). Then there's another checkbox asking if you used the fellowship for "nonqualified" expenses (non-educational expenses; I think it lists rent and few other things). Check the "Yes" box and enter the amount used for non-education expenses (this would be the whole stipend you received untaxed as a check or direct deposit or whatever, unless you used some for required textbooks or had to pay some of your tuition/fees yourself using this stipend).

When you go to Forms mode in TurboTax, you want to see your stipend recorded as "SCH <your stipend amount>" to the left of line 7 on the federal Form 1040. If you see that then your stipend should be accurately included in the calculated taxes you owe.

Edited by Pitangus

The best way I've found to report a taxable fellowship stipend in TurboTax is to report it as a "fellowship not listed on a 1098-T" (even if it was). Then when you proceed you should see a Yes/No checkbox asking if you were required to complete an internship or other service position for this fellowship (this would be "No" for most fellowships I would think). Then there's another checkbox asking if you used the fellowship for "nonqualified" expenses (non-educational expenses; I think it lists rent and few other things). Check the "Yes" box and enter the amount used for non-education expenses (this would be the whole stipend you received untaxed as a check or direct deposit or whatever, unless you used some for required textbooks or had to pay some of your tuition/fees yourself using this stipend).

When you go to Forms mode in TurboTax, you want to see your stipend recorded as "SCH <your stipend amount>" to the left of line 7 on the federal Form 1040. If you see that then your stipend should be accurately included in the calculated taxes you owe.

Okay, thanks for your help!