Human Factors, U Idaho or George Mason?

danman8511

Here goes...

I accepted University of Idaho for terminal masters in human factors right before the deadline. I was on the waiting list for George Mason but couldn't put Idaho off any longer, and of course they emailed me 4/15 letting me know I was in. Now I'm extremely torn. Idaho is small, cost of living is cheap, I won't need to work as much or take out as many loans. There also appears to be more possibility of TA/RA because there are so few grad students. The downside is that they can't put me in an internship until after I graduate, so I'm not sure how much practical experience I'll get while enrolled. And I'm not sure how hard it will be to get a job. The field seems really lucrative though, so this might be a non-issue. I'm just really scared of being stuck.

George Mason said they may offer TA/RA as well but not now, and from what I've heard it's pretty dismal. The program is better with more class options and it requires a practicum. There also appears to be more job/internship opportunities. It's a much bigger and more prestigious school but this seems to also hinder student/teacher interaction. The area will either help or hurt me because of the size. The main downside here is that cost of living in Fairfax is INSANE. If I'm struggling to eat and work I fear my grades will plummet or at least suffer. I feel like I won't be able to focus on school 100% which is what I need to do since I've been out 4 years.

Does anyone have any information about these programs (particularly job placement) or could help me make up my mind? I haven't slept in days!

I cannot address Human Factors specific information or departmental placement statistics. I can however confirm that you, as it stands, have made the right decision. Cost of living in Northern Virginia is quite high (I lived in Fairfax County from 2004-2007) and dirt cheap in Moscow, ID (where my sister lived in the late 80s/early 90s.)

Any program is what you make of it. With the internet, your opportunities are much less limited than before the internet. If you want an internship with a defense contractor in Northern Virginia, once you're ready, make it happen, but until then live dirt cheap and keep your need to take out loans minimized.

I am telling you that you have made the right decision. Get some sleep!

Edited by Wicked_Problem

I'm in the Human Factors program at U Idaho. I'll answer your questions if I get the time today. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about the program. When it comes to cost though, Idaho is one of the best options in the country. I've payed as low as $250 a month for an apartment. Tuition is ~$7000 a year for in state students (and the program offers waivers for the best applicants). My cohort is one of the biggest they've had (6 students), and we're really excited to get some more people in here. UI is adding a PhD in Human Factors, and I was told that they might allow in progress students to just continue studying rather than reapply for the PhD. I'll try to add more later on.

Edited by dmacfour

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use