Declining an interview? Advice needed

carroll11

Some more advice needed...

I have been accepted to UPenn's PhD program and I'm 95% sure that I'll accept. This morning I received notification from Cambridge's MPhil department that they'd like to interview me (they do everything late). I'm pretty sure there's no case in which I'll turn down five years of funding at a really perfect program (for me), so I'm thinking I should decline the interview. Is that a mistake? And is there a nice way to do it?

Thank you!

Points all well taken, but I just wanted to clarify that the total cost we paid for the MA at Georgetown was $24k ($4k per class, with tuition waivers for the last 4 of 10 required courses). I agree that's nothing to sneeze at, though, and we did get very lucky in how everything worked out.

Knowing that the possibility for tuition waivers exists at the Georgetown program is good information though, so glad you pointed that out (even if you already did so in some other discussion).

I have been accepted to UPenn's PhD program and I'm 95% sure that I'll accept. This morning I received notification from Cambridge's MPhil department that they'd like to interview me (they do everything late). I'm pretty sure there's no case in which I'll turn down five years of funding at a really perfect program (for me), so I'm thinking I should decline the interview. Is that a mistake? And is there a nice way to do it?

Thank you!

Personally, I'd talk to them as long as it's over the phone and doesn't cost you anything. You're right, it is sort of hard to imagine turning down your Penn package, but the last time I went through the graduate school application process, I had my heart and mind set on one place, and ended up going somewhere else at the last minute based upon an unexpected great experience over the phone and then on a follow-up visit to campus. So if it's free to you, you might as well, and at the very least they see you as a professional who talked to them and just decided it wasn't for you after all, as opposed to someone who applied and then didn't really respond to their expression of interest.

Thank you!

Just explain nicely that you have decided to accept the offer from UPenn, and thank them for their time?