PhD Application Requirements

psyhology

I second the statement of needing AT LEAST a 150, but keep in mind that most programs say they want you above the 50%-60% for each section.

The new GRE conversion chart shows:

Verbal: 151 is 49% & 152 is 53%.      The 150 is only 44%

Quant: 151 is 48% & 152 is 52%       Again, 150 is only 43%

There is no in between..lol.. The ranks just hugely between a single point!

That being said, the percentile ranks are set to change (AGAIN) in July this year. So, you may want to check into to make sure that the ranks haven't changed.

So, realistically I would shoot for a Verbal:154  & a Quant:154 ... This puts you in the 60% and, at least from experience, most programs are asking both your numerical score &  your percentage score.

Just my 2 cents worth :D

Check on the program websites of the schools you're going to apply to, to see what the Student Admission & Outcome data is for prior years. That'll give you an idea of where you are numbers-wise. Also, keep in mind that numbers aren't everything; FIT is huge.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately this information varies across programs and dependent on the competitiveness each year. My suggestion is that if you really want this route- understand all aspects of what it takes to encompass the lifestyle (licensing, APA accreditation on programs, internship crisis, income level, etc.). Then re-evaluate if you are willing to sacrifice time, money and your life. If you are then gain years of multiple experience, get close to your letter writers (be exceptional in their eyes), get excellent GRE's, make a goal of 4.0 for your last two years in school, get many scholarships, and take every opportunity to publish, show your posters at conferences, give talks, etc. 

Be the most competitive of all. That is it. Any less and your application will fall in to the "lesser than" pile. Oh and don't be afraid to move anywhere. Being geographically limited...is limited (that goes for internship as well).

Need more tips ? PM. I have plenty of angst to share about competitiveness (j/k...maybe)