guest lectures

apologies if this has been covered in the forum elsewhere (i searched but didn't find anything relevant)...

i just noticed that one of the summer courses being offered at my current school has a reading list with quite a bit of overlap into some small projects i'm working on now, as well as my larger phd project. so my question is: what's the etiquette/protocol for guest lecturing? i assume the standard practice is that you'd be invited to speak rather than approaching a professor & volunteering to do so, but curious how common (if at all) it is to go against that norm? anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!!

thanks for the responses!

i'm graduating this semester, so i'd be out of the program by then. it's a split-level course, though, so that could be problematic. i may just ask him about it in person at the department's graduation banquet, since both of the smaller projects that're relevant to his summer course will be finished by then & i'll have something tangible to run past him should he be interested.

thanks again!

I'd really bring this up personally with the professor, after a preliminary email requesting a short conversation regarding that course. It would also depend to a great extent on how well you know the professor teaching the course.