Difference in pay for different schools attended?

Just curious if anyone (maybe any current/graduating students) knows if there is really any difference whatsoever for the kind of pay you will get if you attend school A over school B if one is more prestigious/offers more varied clinical experiences, etc.?  And I mean any at all, like $50K vs. $45K salary, etc.  Do the jobs prefer that you worked directly with a specific population in your practica/externships before they will hire you??  Just curious... Thanks for any input!

The SLP I observe (10 years in the field) has said several times that "Once you leave school, nobody cares where you went. Your experience is what matters, so get good internships." 

This is similar to what I have heard. Pay depends on your job and your experience, not where the degree is from. 

Just curious if anyone (maybe any current/graduating students) knows if there is really any difference whatsoever for the kind of pay you will get if you attend school A over school B if one is more prestigious/offers more varied clinical experiences, etc.?  And I mean any at all, like $50K vs. $45K salary, etc.  Do the jobs prefer that you worked directly with a specific population in your practica/externships before they will hire you??  Just curious... Thanks for any input!

I don't think so. I think it just depends on where you plan to work and what the demand is in that area (need SLPs for children vs. adults). I think prestige of a school matters more for students who want to go for their PhD afterwards. Most programs provide both practica experience with children and adults so unless the school specifies otherwise, you can't really go wrong there.

So you guys think if one school can give you significantly better off site placements in school, it's probably worth a little more money-wise?

I think so. You'll make connections and begin to build the foundation of your career during your internships. You might be better off when it comes to your CF, too, if a school has better off-site opportunities, even if programs don't "place" students per se.

So you guys think if one school can give you significantly better off site placements in school, it's probably worth a little more money-wise?

Just curious, what would you consider a "better" off-site placement?

Edited by mystiqueSLP

Out of curiosity, why are you asking?  Are you thinking of changing your decision or is University of Tulsa the more expensive school?

Just curious, what would you consider a "better" off-site placement?

I mean being able to do more off-site placements in populations you are interested in (mainly because you are in a bigger city at a larger program).  So "better" meaning that I would get to see more settings that I am interested in...

Occams, I am sending you a PM....