Master's Harvard v. Hopkins v. Michigan

aewarren

Hi,

I am looking for a master's program where I can get a strong foundation in management and policy skills for International health programs. I have little health background (social sciences, international studies) and no health work experience (though some international work experience). I am particularly interested in sustainable national or regional programs for insurance and primary care, and would like a US-based position after graduation in a think-tank, consulting position ie with John Snow, or perhaps a program development position with an NGO or the public sector. I know that's pretty broad--and worse, it might change. I love policy and economics, and am excited for some of the more administrative skills/courses offered in public health schools. SO, I am choosing between:

Michigan - MPH - Health management & Policy - international health/policy electives in the Ford Pub. Policy School

Harvard - SM -Global Health & Pop Studies - Policy & Management electives within the school and at Kennedy School of Gov

Hopkins - International Health Systems

Thoughts? I really appreciate it!

Are the financial costs pretty comparable? If so, then I would probably lean towards Harvard, especially if you think there's any chance you might want to continue for the doctoral degree (which would be very helpful for careers in the government or think-tanks). They also have a much stronger economics component than Hopkins. My sense is that of these three, Michigan is probably the least international in scope, which combined with geography means that their research and career network is probably much more limited than the other two. If you know that there's a particular region you're interested in, then you might want to see where the respective program faculty are currently undertaking research projects, since they may be able to get you involved during the summers (and are also likely to have other contacts in those areas who might need interns).

I'm assuming that you've already been admitted to all three; however, if you're deciding where to apply for the next cycle, you may also want to include the MPA/ID at Harvard to your list (and take the health electives through HSPH rather than vice versa). Similarly, the Princeton MPA program is fantastic (and funded!) and has a number of great health people.

I'd love to hear more about your interests - yay international health economics!