MBA Hopeful- Please Chance Me

harrisce4

Hi everyone,

Thus far, I have had positive experiences with The Grad Cafe so I thought I would do a "Chance Me" thread for MBA programs. I will be applying this fall and basically would like to know if my list of schools is reasonable or not.

About Me:
Undergrad: Public School in Virginia
Degree: Bachelor of Science, Marketing
Work Experience: I've held several internships (4 Advertising/Marketing, 1 Research position) As a Research assistant I actually worked under Sheila Johnson (co-owner of BET and Washington Mystics). Great experience. In addition to my internships, I now work at a global advertising agency in NYC. Moved up from Assistant Account Executive to Account Executive within just one year. My role here is account management (pharmaceutical account). I love it, but what I REALLY want to do is brand management (client-side). One of the requirements of becoming a Brand Manager is an MBA, so hence why I want this degree so badly.

Stats:
Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.197 (not so stellar I know...)
Undergrad Major GPA: 3.500
As for my undergrad GPA being low, I did have significant upward trend each year.
Fall 07 (2.615) | Spring 08 (3.071) | Fall 08 (3.2) | Spring 09 (3.75) | Fall 09 (2.8) | Spring 10 (3.33) | Fall 10 (3.0) | Spring 11 (3.5) | Fall 11 (3.75)
I really hope they take the upward trend into consideration. I do plan to address my weakness in essay #4. I worked 40+ hours to pay bills, since housing dormitories are far too pricey. Working so many hours while taking 15 credit hours was certainly a struggle (not that I'm trying to make excuses...).

GMAT: I finished the Manhattan GMAT course and will be taking this spring. Still studying...

This past fall I was accepted to Fordham's Pre-MBA program, which consists of taking 3 MBA-level courses: Managerial Economics ( B), Statistics (B+), and Mathematical Methods for Business (B+). This program was a really great opportunity and I'm grateful for the experience. I now know what to expect at the MBA level and know this is the right step for me. My graduate GPA is 3.33.

I was an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant my last semester in undergrad, so for one of my letters of recommendations I was going to ask the Dr. who I assisted/researched under. He is published and very charismatic- think he would make a great recommender. But the other two letters will come from current supervisors as professional LORs hold more precedence than educational. I have a HUGE passion for advertising and can clearly articulate my short-term and long-term goals, as well as why I want an MBA, why now, and why the school.

So, I was hoping to get a feel for what I'm up against this fall. I know some people refer to b-school acceptances as a "crap shoot" so I wanted to provide you with my list of schools I would like to apply to and ask you if I should add any more to the list. It may be a bit of an ambitious list with not many safeties. My company offers the tuition reimbursement program, so for the OOS schools, I would only go there if I had a shot at funding from them.

So without further a due, here is my list (in no particular order):

CBS
NYU
Fordham
Georgetown
American
George Mason
St. John's
Baruch
Hofstra
UC- Irvine

University of San Francisco

I feel like I need more "likelies" or "safeties." Please advise! If you would need my GMAT scores to really chance me, I will check back in a few months after I take it. This is just a rough guess. Also, if you have suggestions of great Marketing- Brand Mgmt programs let me know!

Thank you and sorry so long :)

[Note:  You're far more likely to get informed responses by posting this in the appropriate thread -- The Menu/Professional Programs/Business.  You might consider deleting this thread and reposting there.]

It's virtually impossible to "chance" you absent GMAT scores.

You might clarify whether you're intending on full-time or part-time study or would be open to considering either.  You mention tuition reimbursement from your employer, which would imply a part-time program, yet you've include some full time programs on your list.  Funding for full-time MBA study is exceedingly rare.

With all of that said, I think your UGPA is likely to be a barrier to admission at most elite schools (esp. Columbia and NYU from your list above).  The Fordham classes maybe a boost for admission to Fordham, not sure about elsewhere.  You might consider gaining more full-time work experience before applying, which could strengthen your candidacy.

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I thought it was implied that I would be specifically applying to PT MBA programs since my company is paying for it (partially anyway). The only school on my list that is FT only is CBS- which let's be honest is a reach for EVERYONE. It's just a "dream school" I guess you could say. I'm aware that it is difficult to chance someone without a GMAT score which is why I wrote in my original post, "If you would need my GMAT scores to really chance me, I will check back in a few months after I take it."

You're absolutely right about my UGPA. I have a feeling that is going to be a difficult barrier for me which is why I need to work on my GMAT, essays, and ensure that my LORs are up to par.

I will post this thread in the forum you suggested.

Thanks again!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use