How not to give up and try again? Please, share your experience!

RobertodellaGriva

Could those who went through several application cycles and eventually succeeded share their experiences of where they got strength and courage to apply again?

I applied to four universities. Although this application round was not a complete failure for me since I made the initial cut at one of the uni and was interviewed and waitlisted at the other one, I now feel both mentally and emotionally damaged. Although I am starting thinking of applying again, I have no idea of how to come to myself after this, how to overcome the crisis of confidence, and, more practically, how to approach POIs at the universities that rejected me, how to approach my recommenders again and, generally, what to start with.

Could you give some advice? Thanks.

I applied to one school last year, was sure I'll get in, got rejected.

Applied to 8 this year, got into all of them except one, waitlisted, waiting on it.

Yeah it sucks, everything from having to use your Plan B (if you don't have one, work on this, it'll help) to explaining to your friends and family, especially your recommenders.

For me planning a trip away helped a lot. I went backpacking for a while and spent the time thinking about how I could improve my application, and basically restate everything I said in my SOP in a more mature way. I kept in touch with the POIs who all encouraged me to reapply. I kept reading literature in my field and wrote a lot, both in my field and just personal stuff.

I would say just let your recommenders know you were rejected, what your plan for the next year is, and then when they reply, ask for feedback. Don't show weakness because even though you'll get pity points, it might count against you down the road. Let them, POIs, friends, and family know you're trying again next year and that you have a Plan B.

Take more time to research your field, think about long term career possibilities to further motivate why you want to go to school. Start working on a better SOP. Also, drinking helps. 

I took a co-op offer after graduation because I thought I'd get into a PhD program. But I got my ass handed to me instead, and have to drift down to plan B, which is no bueno. I've emailed to ask for advice/feedback, but pretty much got either no replies or the runaround. I was thinking of sending another round about getting some application feedback. I'm also looking for a research related job in SF, my dream city, work there for a year or so. Fingers crossed.

how do you not give up? Realize that the glass is half full, plain and simple.