SAIS v MSFS (GTown) 2013

ansac111

Whoa, this thread is getting really nasty. 

Indeed. If you look at my original post, it was intended to find out some soft and subtle differences between the two DC programs, so as to gauge which would a better cultural fit for me. I didn't want the conversation to drift towards rankings, usefulness of IR degree, allegations of arrogance coupled with inferiority complex   :unsure:

Whoa, this thread is getting really nasty. Despite SAIS's supposed reputation of producing arrogant egomaniacs, it seems like the people who choose not to go to SAIS are the ones derailing every SAIS-related thread until it becomes a cesspool of ad hominem attacks and unsubstantiated hearsay.

Soaps - I have read a number of your posts on thegradcafe, and you are obviously a cheerleader for SIPA. It's a wonderful program that probably gets unfairly disparaged on this forum. But you are taking dft309's comments way too personally, and I'm afraid that you're the one who's coming off as defensive now. I like Damis's advice that we should all relax and enjoy our successes.

Now that I've decided where to go, I'm not even sure why I'm on thegradcafe anymore. I guess it's become a bad habit over the past year.

Of course I'm defensive, but it has more to do with the view that DC (and DC schools) are some sort of panacea for IR against which all other schools are measured, and SAIS students/hopefuls are the worst offenders here. In reality, many people deliberately want to escape that environment, and I think these forums reflect attitudes/behaviors that are prevalent in DC (namely, the compulsion to use some prestige/reputation calculus). That's what turns these forums toxic, and in any case, if I'm being derided for de-emphasizing reputation rankings pulled out of thin air and emphasizing the importance of work experience, it's a poor reflection of this forum's priorities. OP didn't ask this guy to rank all IR programs; he asked about SAIS and Gtown.

The only other time I've commented in a SAIS thread is to disspell the idea that a SAIS degree can be used as an MBA, which is another myth that still needs debunking here. I've never derailed a SAIS thread before except maybe this one, and that's because it needed derailing. If I'm the only one jumping on someone comparing schools as "meaningfully worse" than others with only condescension and internships to justify his point of view, so be it.

Edited by soaps

Hmm... well I'm headed off to SAIS Bologna this fall and really couldn't be happier with my decision.  I'm so excited in fact and am looking forward to exploring DC in year 2.  Perhaps it won't be the place for me long-term, but I'm all for trying new places out!  I spent a lot of time soul searching and considering many programs before deciding.  I certainly don't think SAIS is for everyone, but it's a good fit for me.  I'm definitely not concerned with prestige and really hope I'm not arrogant.  If anything, I'm feeling incredibly grateful and generally hopeful this week.  I just bought my plane ticket, yahoo!

I think it's time to stop generalizing and, like Damis said earlier, just be happy!  :)

OP- MSFS and SAIS are both incredible programs.  I don't know enough about the softer culture aspects at GTown to advise you, but I would say that at least you can't go wrong!

I think it's time to stop generalizing and, like Damis said earlier, just be happy!   :)

I completely agree with this. The majority of people in DC are not douches, the majority of students at SAIS are not arrogant, the majority of students at AU/GW etc. are as competent and bright as the students at SAIS/SIPA/Fletcher etc. There's really no sense to feel superior about your grad program or the city you live in. I think we all know reality is more complex than that.