Teaching English Abroad Programs??

theregalrenegade

Coming to the end of this application season, it's almost certain I'll be reapplying next year. I'd like to go abroad and get some teaching experience. There are a range of programs that I've found on the internet.

My problem is there are so many, it's overwhelming. I need a good-paying position to cover my expenses and school loans and if I pay for the TESOL/TEFL certification I want to know I'll be able to find the work I need.

Does anyone have experience with any of these programs, or some insight into which ones have the highest and best placement in other countries? Though I'd prefer Europe, I'm open to going most anywhere. 

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to find the name of my friend's program in Japan... without success. I do remember she went through an organization which ended up being good, but I vaguely recall that she also mentioned some are not good. This was a few years ago.

It is my sense from hearing from the both them that Korea is preferable. If you chose Korea, keep in mind that you'll likely still be able to travel to China, Thailand, etc.

Lastly -- especially in Korea, there are significant differences between public and private schools (for things like compensation, vacation time). There are pros and cons to each type.

I would definitely do your research and ask around.

Also, you write that your interest is Europe. I cannot say this for sure, but it would be my sense that the ESL positions are more plentiful in Asia. The person that I know who did the Korea teaching mentioned that your housing, insurance, even flights is covered. In other words, the money you earned may be useful for student loans and other bills.

Finally, you should keep in mind that likely you'll be signing a contract. Should you be accepted next round, make sure the date works with your potential start for grad school.

From the research I've done so far, it seems Asia is the most lucrative and there are many different avenues I could take regarding TEFL certification and such. 

I've been lurking on the forums at Dave's and have found a lot of helpful information. 

I've narrowed it down to China, Korea, and Thailand. Now to find the best programs that work with my time frame.

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm teaching English in Korea right now. I'll give you a quick list of positives/negatives, and if you have further questions, please PM me.

In general, teaching in Korea usually means a) good money; B) a fairly easy, convenient, western-style life and; c) great opportunities to travel around. It also means d) you'll have to look really carefully at your job if you want to actually teach students rather than being a sort of expensive, foreign plaything. I teach at a small elementary school and actually teach, alone, am treated as a teacher, and teach as one, however I have friends who are little more than living tape recorders who assist a full-time teacher. 

It's been a great experience, though often frustrating, and I will miss Korea and my students greatly when I return to the U.S. It's a great way to save money and/or pay back loans for a year or two. Just do your research before you accept any position here.