GRFP vs NDSEG

hungry

Is there anything major I'm missing while comparing these 2?

NSF GRFP

30,000 per year (2013-2014)

3 years tenure

5 year duration

12 month tenure blocks

Summer internships allowed

Fairly relaxed about what specific research you do

NDSEG

30,500 per year (2013-2014)

3 years tenure

3 year duration

12 month tenure blocks

Outside work only at government / military labs 

Fairly relaxed about what specific research you do

I've been fortunate to be awarded the GRFP, and am currently sitting on the waiting list on NDSEG ("Congratulations!! We have not reached a decision yet on your application"). After looking closely through the award details, it seems to me that there's really no benefit to NDSEG over GRFP, and that I should just accept the GRFP and be done with it (advisor just wants me to accept funding asap).

But I've always assumed that NDSEG was more prestigious so before I accept GRFP, I am wondering if there is something that I am missing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by hungry

From my research you can still have a part time or side gig or did a teaching assistantship with the NSF GRFP.  I don't know if that will help your decision or if you already knew that.  I think they just don't want your other jobs to interfere with completing your research project.  I've have several professors tell me the NSF GRFP was the most prestigious out of the government agencies that provide graduate school funding.  If you're already accepted into a graduate program, I don't see why you can't wait til the NSF GRFP May 1st deadline.  I don't know your situation but if you're already accepted and can begin research this summer, maybe that's why your professor wants you to accept funding quickly.

I'm in the same situation as OP but I decided to accept the NSF GRF funding.

Here are my reasons:

1) Funding is approximately the same (NDSEG pays slightly more)

2) Even though the NSF GRF doesn't cover full tuition, my department will be waiving the rest.

3) Much more flexibility on when to take funding (CS PhDs in my department have been successful in winning one-year industry fellowships from Google, Microsoft, etc.)

4) NSF GROW - I'm really interested in doing research abroad so NSF GROW is a great opportunity.

The clincher was the flexibility; I like having the option to defer funding so that I can apply for industry/national lab fellowships during my graduate study (I'd hate to be locked in for 3 years and miss some of the eligibility criteria).