General questions / app timing, GRE, tech-heavy programs

ekmoore

Hello world!

I graduated in 2012 with a BA in English and a 3.44 GPA from a LAC with a reputation for its lack of grade inflation (hopefully the little card they attach to transcripts to this effect will be a boon of sorts)

I'm planning on applying to library science programs, and have some questions.

My list as it stands currently: 
UNC Chapel Hill, UT Austin, UW Seattle, U British Columbia, McGill, Simmons

1. Is there anything truly detrimental in applying to begin in the Spring (Jan 2014)? I know that a shot at funding/scholarships would likely be limited that first semester.

2. I'm interested in the more technical side of things. While I'd love to someday actually work at a library, I'd be just as happy, if not happier, doing database/metadata/UX/taxonomy things in the private sector. I'm leaning (strongly) towards MLIS programs rather than MIMS/MIS/WTFBBQ programs because they seem more versatile, and leave the library option open. Thoughts on this? (or on the above interests?)

3. GRE! Right now I'm 91st percentile verbal and 59th percentile quant, and 4.5 writing. I didn't study for verbal at all, so I figure a month with the top 500 vocab words and I could get that 91 to a 95. UT lists their "average" as 323, and I'm 319. UNC is a similar number/range. Should I retake the GRE, or trust that it's "good enough" and use the time I'd spend studying to craft a that-much-better SOP?

3a. Any SOP advice in general? Some schools give word count and topics, some are a bit more vague, and tips or anecdotes would be appreciated, just for reference and comparison.

Any other advice? I know, I know, "go to the cheapest/closest place," but I tried to pick schools in cities I'd actually like to live in, since I'm aiming more towards private-sector not-strictly-library jobs, I figured networking/interning in places I'd want to live would be less of an issue.

Thanks in advance!
Edited by ekmoore

Hi ekmoore,

I don't have much experience as I haven't yet started my MLIS program, but I recently found out that I have been accepted to all three schools that I applied to (UBC, UW - Seattle, UW - Milwaukee), so I have some (limited) experience with the application side of things.

1) GRE. I only applied to schools that didn't require the GRE or where it was optional, so I didn't take it. :P

2) For the SOP, my main strategy was to put as much personality as possible into it. What makes you different from every other person out there who wants to go to Library School? What would you bring to the profession? Do you have any unique/niche professional goals? Be wild! Be inventive! But also, do your research, so that you actually know what you're talking about! I read a lot of blogs from current and former MLIS students, several professionals, I went to my local library and chatted with some current librarians on what their day-to-day work was like and how they viewed the profession, and I made sure to incorporate some of this information in my letter.

I know that's pretty vague advice, but that was essentially my strategy and it worked pretty well for me.

ekmoore - 

I also came from a selective LAC with minimal grade inflation, had a 3.28 GPA, 99% verbal, 49% (gasp!) quantitative, and 4.5 analytical. I got in everywhere I applied. I'm going to UNC-Chapel Hill, which is #1 in Archives and Preservation right now (tied with Simmons, another school that accepted me). 

You don't need to retake your GREs. If you hold your SOP to the same standards to which you would hold a paper for a class at your college, you will almost certainly be fine. It doesn't meant that you will absolutely get in everywhere you apply, but that isn't totally unlikely either! You'll notice on these threads that only very rarely do people get across-the-board rejections when they apply - and when they do, it's usually because they only applied to one or two schools, or have a sub-3.0 GPA, or some other serious issue that they need to work on before they re-apply. The biggest problem is finding out a way to pay for the degree when you do get in!

When I started this process, my librarian mentor (the Rare Books and Manuscripts Librarian at my college) told me that I was being an idiot for getting so stressed out that I wouldn't be accepted anywhere. She was right - there was absolutely no good reason to freak out! With your background, I really do think you're going to find the admissions process a cinch. Good luck!

Also, you might want to add Michigan to your list. I didn't apply there, but I have a friend who went there for more techy-things and her experience was absolutely wonderful! It's definitely a very progressive department from what I understand.

Edited by judithsmutler

Definitely don't spend the money on taking the GRE again. I'm pretty sure that's just the graduate school's requirement that you have at least a 4 on writing, and 50th percentile or above on each section (I got a 163 verbal, 153 quantitative, and 4.5 writing, and I got in just fine). I don't think the school of library and information really looks at the GREs, it's just sort of a requirement UNC itself has.

My main advice for the SOP is to just make it clear that you understand and are knowledgeable about what the field of library and information science involves. Basically, make it clear you're not one of those people who thinks librarianship means reading books all day (and I can tell from your post you're not). I talked about why I was interested in going into library and information science, especially in the Internet Age, and some about my specific career goals. Then at the end I touched upon how the specific program matched my goals and interests. It was a little over a page( single-spaced block paragraphs). It was around 650 words or so. I got into UNC- Chapel Hill, UW- Seattle residential, and University of Illinois- Urbana-Champaign, so I guess my SOP/personal statement worked pretty well.

As far as applying for the spring, I'm pretty sure some programs - specifically UW- Seattle - only accept applications for the fall/you can't start the program in the spring. Someone correct me if I'm misremembering that.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

OP, is there a reason why you haven't considered the University of Michigan? They have a tech-heavy curriculum, and their human-computer interaction program is considered one of the best in the nation. Many library major students specialize in HCI to take advantage of the technology opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...