Did any Canadian social studies of medicine students get Federal or Provincial funding?

rferg

Basically I hit a wall when it comes to my academic career and funding.

As a doctoral student working in the social studies of medicine using qualitative methods, I do not have the same level of publications as engineering and medical science students due to different publication and authorship models. I havent had the same sort of access to laboratories and collaborative research programmes that are the norm in medicine.

Changes in funding models in Canada require that I apply for funding through CIHR or Provincial health-based funding agencies rather than social science funding agencies.

I get evaluated well on my academic track record and research design but get murdered when it comes to my lack of publications, low number of conference presentations, and posters. In my field, these are generally single authored and reserved for the period after data collection in the doctorate.

Maybe I'm just making excuses for myself here. Has anyone else working on the social and cultural sides of medicine received a doctoral research grant? Anyone have any strategies for me to get out of this funding mess?

Obviously I need to start publishing my way out of this.