Silly Question: What qualifies as "cutting edge" and does it really matter?

A lot of people comment on this forum about how they got into programs because of their SOP/Writing Sample/fit with the department and not just their GPA/GRE scores. But, the other thing that seems to matter a lot is being on the cutting edge of the particular field you study. I'm just wondering if this is really important and also wondering how to make yourself sound like you fit this description. 

For me, it seems like I just won't make the cut in that regard. I study Victorian literature and gender studies--hardly a "new" or "unique" avenue. I particularly focus on constructions of masculinity, which is kinda new, but not necessarily revolutionary or super unique. For the PhD, I'd like to expand my interests to the long nineteenth century so that I'm looking back into the past and into the future to see how constructions of masculinity are changing--but, maybe since I've been looking at this so long it's hard to tell if that seems good enough/interesting enough to departments. I know that digital humanities and animal studies is new, particularly in relation to Victorian studies, but it just doesn't interest me at all. 

So, I'm just wondering, how much do you think this matters? And for those of you who got in already, do you think you were on the cutting age or that this was a factor? 

If it is my SOP that has bothered you, you need to look at the big picture and not compare apples to oranges. You may be demonstrating what YOU will contribute to YOUR area which may very well be cutting edge in YOUR niche. But bear in mind, it will be at least a couple of years before you will start research in your area. Adcoms know this and you only need to demonstrate an awareness of where your interests lie.

Your SOP didn't bother me at all--quite the opposite, I found it inspiring and helpful. I do realize that comparing apples to oranges doesn't work. I was just generally curious what others thought about being on the "cutting edge" of a discipline. This topic has come up in other places on gradcafe, and so I was just looking for thoughts here. I have met with and talked to quite a few current grad students who seemed to emphasize that making yourself unique and studying something "new" and interesting will make the programs want you more because you can really add to their program. Maybe being "unique" or knowing where your interests lie is quite different from being on the cutting edge though...

I don't think everyone needs to jump on the hot new trends in the field to be taken seriously as a PhD candidate. For me, the key was showing how disparate interests overlapped. Really, nothing I was talking about was really new or cutting edge, but I was excited about finding new connections between seemingly unrelated topics. So, sure. gender studies and Victorian literature aren't exactly new, groundbreaking topics, but maybe you have a question about those interests that hasn't been asked yet. 

Don't stress about not being edgy enough. Instead, focus on demonstrating how your interests are really fucking exciting and deserve to be discussed. :)

I don't think everyone needs to jump on the hot new trends in the field to be taken seriously as a PhD candidate. For me, the key was showing how disparate interests overlapped. Really, nothing I was talking about was really new or cutting edge, but I was excited about finding new connections between seemingly unrelated topics. So, sure. gender studies and Victorian literature aren't exactly new, groundbreaking topics, but maybe you have a question about those interests that hasn't been asked yet. 

Don't stress about not being edgy enough. Instead, focus on demonstrating how your interests are really fucking exciting and deserve to be discussed. :)

Good advice! Thanks! 

I'm not sure why I was downvoted but I'm glad that you were not discouraged (which was my fear). My SOP was right for me but it was also a bit unusual because I had to demonstrate my transferrable skills. But as someone else suggested, you don't need to get on the latest bandwagon. If write your passion then that enthusiasm will inspire conversations - which is what academia is all about IMHO. Good luck! 

I'm still new to this site so I dunno how the whole "downvoted" thing works--how does someone get downvoted/what does that mean? ....anyways, thanks for the advice again. I'll definitely try to express my interests as best I can...this all just seems like a crapshoot in the end anyway, so we'll see what happens. 

I'm still new to this site so I dunno how the whole "downvoted" thing works--how does someone get downvoted/what does that mean? ....anyways, thanks for the advice again. I'll definitely try to express my interests as best I can...this all just seems like a crapshoot in the end anyway, so we'll see what happens. 

Look to the lower right of the text in a post.  there's a red arrow and a green arrow.  Green = good, person gets a better post rating.  Bad = down = red = people get warned or something? I don't know what it does actually, just that on reddit it equals internet points.

Look to the lower right of the text in a post.  there's a red arrow and a green arrow.  Green = good, person gets a better post rating.  Bad = down = red = people get warned or something? I don't know what it does actually, just that on reddit it equals internet points.

Oh, I see it now. Silly interwebz. 

It may also be great to narrow it down by genre, certain authors or certain periods (mid-Victorian, etc). A lot of people have written on masculinities already. Maybe it may also help to connect it to different topics like the idea of Empire, and add some authors and ideas that you are considering for your possible theoretical framework.

There are many ways to approach a topic that has been written about already. I think the key here is to read around. A lot.

With our internet points combined, Today: Gradcafe

Tomorrow: Reddit

The Next Day: The World

brain.gif

OP,

What you need to do is look around you in your areas of interest and see what's going on right now. Then, think back to the beginning--what drew you here in the first place? What drew you to your interests? Try to blend the two. On the one hand, it will not do you any good to present a perfectly archaic proposed research plan. The department doesn't benefit from any new thinking, any innovation--you just don't offer anything of interest. On the other hand, it's easy to detect when you've "tailored" your research interests to be hip to the field's jive (so to speak).

So, work for a happy marriage of the two. Certain places value the "cutting edge" factor more than other. The Film Studies program at Yale values a certain approach to the field that has, on occasion, been termed "traditional." And Yale itself is a traditional/conservative institution when it comes to academia; it isn't likely to rush into something just because it's making waves. I'm grounded in early/classical film theory, film history, but I'm also quite keen on "new media" interventions. My areas of proposed research (I was given to understand) presented a fairly unique (for this admissions cycle) blend of current/future-oriented interests and a more classically-grounded approach. It's this two-pronged approach that apparently set me apart. Obviously, I did not do this intentionally (I actually didn't even know that Yale was organising a graduate conference strikingly in line with my interests just this February, just prior to admissions decisions). But, it was the right kind of research proposal directed to the right program at the right time. You (I) don't control many of these coincidences--that's why you won't get in everywhere you apply, more than likely.

However, it helps if you have a good sense of what the programs value, and can construct a research proposal that is open-ended and looks toward the future while (in your case) continuing to revolve around well-worn objects. What that twist is, or how you'll discover it, is not something anyone can tell you. 

All this may seem gimmicky, but in reality what your objective is, is to establish that you have something to say to your field, and that people need to listen to it, because they haven't heard it before. And X program can help you present that something--hence they should take you in. 

Good to know! What was your focus within Victorian studies?

Novels, for one thing. I'm not much into poetry.

My main area of interest is Victorian Judaism/Anglo-Jewish writings/portrayals of Jews in literature. I will tell you that I was rejected from A LOT of programs, but I did get into enough to have good options, and they all told me I was accepted partially because they were intrigued by my focus on Judaism. Some schools are into religion, some aren't. I wouldn't call it "hot" or "cutting edge," but religion and lit has some staying power, if I may be so bold. My philosophy with applications was, they like it or they don't.

Judaism is a huge part of my life, and I picked this as my interest because I'm very passionate about people understanding that Jews have participated in the English language literary tradition and that Judaism isn't as foreign as a lot of people think. I'm personally invested and that works for me (and others). I am also interested in animal studies - not because it is trendy, but because I have a personal interest in it - and gothic novels/serialized penny bloods. So there you have it. Maybe my interests were boring to some schools, but not all. I'm working on my 2nd peer review publication and am starting my phd in the fall, so I think I'm doing okay.

Edited by thatjewishgirl

I'm actually interested in the exact same things you are--Victorian lit and gender studies, with a focus on queer theory and the construction of masculinities. Yes these fields aren't exactly new, but it's all about what fresh insights you can bring to the trodden ground. For example, my writing sample was about the linguistic construction of masculinities in Victorian adventure fiction (particularly the serialized stories like Treasure Island). I looked at the scholarship surrounding this issue and found a way to attack it that was fresh and novel. It worked pretty well for me; I got a great offer from Ohio State for their PhD and also several offers from great MA programs.

I'm actually interested in the exact same things you are--Victorian lit and gender studies, with a focus on queer theory and the construction of masculinities. Yes these fields aren't exactly new, but it's all about what fresh insights you can bring to the trodden ground. For example, my writing sample was about the linguistic construction of masculinities in Victorian adventure fiction (particularly the serialized stories like Treasure Island). I looked at the scholarship surrounding this issue and found a way to attack it that was fresh and novel. It worked pretty well for me; I got a great offer from Ohio State for their PhD and also several offers from great MA programs.

Have you ever written on/read criticism on masculinity in the Holmes canon?

Not only do I second the advice to not jump on the bandwagon, I have personal experience. This past round of applications I tried to market myself as a digital humanities student--thinking that it was the hot new thing that would surely get me into a program. Because I work with print culture, I thought, "well, it will eventually be my field because print culture will surely be quickly immersed in DH." My problem, however, was discussing DH while not knowing a whole lot about it. I think that, ultimately, my statement probably sounded like a Wikipedia entry, which lead to my plethora of rejections. Definitely don't try to just "fit in" to what is new or hot in the field. Instead, market yourself as unique and important. You love what you do for a reason, so that is what needs to come across in your work.

Not only do I second the advice to not jump on the bandwagon, I have personal experience. This past round of applications I tried to market myself as a digital humanities student--thinking that it was the hot new thing that would surely get me into a program. Because I work with print culture, I thought, "well, it will eventually be my field because print culture will surely be quickly immersed in DH." My problem, however, was discussing DH while not knowing a whole lot about it. I think that, ultimately, my statement probably sounded like a Wikipedia entry, which lead to my plethora of rejections. Definitely don't try to just "fit in" to what is new or hot in the field. Instead, market yourself as unique and important. You love what you do for a reason, so that is what needs to come across in your work.

Yeah, better not force it if you are not into DH. Although since you are working on print culture, I'm not sure if you want to look at texts like "House of Leaves" in connection to remediation. But then again, I'm not sure if you are interested in that. It really depends on one's interests.

Have you ever written on/read criticism on masculinity in the Holmes canon?

Last semester I took a course called "Fiction and Film of Sherlock Holmes" and we talked a ton about masculinities. But I chose to write my term paper on something else, unfortunately. But that's definitely a really rich group of texts when it comes to masculinities.

I think that defining "cutting edge" is kind of like defining "short story" without using the word short or its synonyms. Everyone does is differently, and when sufficiently drunk, can get into a fist fight about it. Literature isn't like computer science, where there is a definite, clear limit to technological advancement and anything that pushes that limit is "cutting edge." Literature isn't limited by the progress already made and cutting edge can be something brand new in the middle of 100 year old theories. The Lion King was cutting edge for its time. It pushed limits and turned into a wild success. It just mined something a few centuries old to do it.

It's less important to get into the idea of doing something new, or ground-breaking, in the field and more about seeing the old thing in a different way. It's finding your niche. Someone already said that, though. :)

I would agree that SOPs and Writing Samples are more important that GRE scores...especially the SOP. The trick to writing a good SOP is to know the university you are applying to (really know it) and know your field. Take the time to read about the university to explore the faculty and their publications. When you write your SOP be specific and be knowledgeable about your field.

Talk about why you think you'd be a good fit for their program. Mention professors that you may want to work with by name, if the university is known for something (i.e. most of the universities I applied to encouraged interdisciplinary work...which is essential for my field as it crosses into many disciplines...so I said that). If they have a press that produces a journal about what you study, say that. Try to weave what you study into their program. 

"Cutting Edge" differs from university to university, but all universities are looking for someone who they think is a good fit. The best SOPs you write are the ones where you are honest, matter of fact, and you don't have a hard time weaving your interests into those of the university you are applying to. Your SOP should change with every institution. If you're having trouble naming a faculty member with whom you'd want to study it's probably a sign you shouldn't be applying there (I've chucked schools off lists for this). Good Luck!!! :)