Advice on getting into Harvard Law

iblisean

I'm currently an MTS (Masters of theological studies) student at Harvard Divinity School and I'm hoping to pursue a dual degree at the law school (JD). I don't have the numbers for the law school (undergrad gpa) but I'm hoping my current student status at Harvard and my holistic application will help me with my weaknesses. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.55

Grad GPA: 4.0

LSAT: 173

My personal statement will focus on translating my passion about religion and ethics (specifically Islamic law) into social change through the law. I'll also have Harvard recommendations including one from a professor at the law school. I have lots of community experience and 3 political internships ranging from the State Department to the Hill. What do you think of my chances? 

Thanks!

It's definitely worth applying, but I don't know if anyone can say what your actual chances are or how much your performance at HDS will make up for your UG GPA.

If you're set on attending law school, I think you should apply to other schools as well. You probably have a solid shot at T14 schools, but it's obviously a competitive process!

Applying JUST to Harvard might be a bit risky though, if you absolutely want to nail an admission for whenever it is that you want to start. Surely there are other competitive/relevant law schools with programs that might be a good fit to you ?

I think they are applying to Harvard as they want to start as a dual degree student - their degree at HDS is in progress.

You could definitely try.  I know a friend of mine started her MPH at Columbia and then applied in the middle of her first year to do a dual-degree MPA at Columbia, too.  She didn't have the work experience that MPA applicants usually have (she only had one year), but she was already at Columbia and so she got into the program anyway.