Tuition Waivers

Does anyone have insight into how tuition waivers work?  Do you get a bill for tuition and then get a second statement showing the balance is zero?  Does every school have a different way of handling these sort of things? Is this the sort of thing that works differently for different departments?  For example waivers work one way in literature departments and another in Comp? 

I plan to call the school on Monday and ask questions but I wondered if anyone had any idea how these things usually work. 

It varies by program. For one of my waivers, I was told to apply and click on a box (that popped up once I informed them about the waiver), and I didn't have to pay the fee at all.

My school does it with a bill, followed by a payment from the school. 

That payment then is reported each year as a scholarship for tax purposes, rather than an employee benefit, thankfully. 

We get a bill at the beginning of each semester for tuition and fees. You have to pay the fee portion by the due date but not the tuition part, which just shows as an unpaid balance for a week or two because of how long it takes them to process tuition waivers.

Yeah, we had a problem with our waiver process one summer (and one fall) where it took several months for the balance to straighten out. 

So we kept all getting notices of finance charges, that eventually all went away when the waivers processed.