Too old to start?

cogneuropsy

I have noticed that most of the people active on this board are either currently undergraduates or they  graduated only a few years ago. I'm almost 30 and finished my undergrad degree 7 years ago. I'm taking a few undergraduate classes and looking to gain some research experience. Still, it may take me some time before I'm prepared to even start applying to grad school.

Am I too old to be starting down this career path?

How might starting now affect my prospects, not only when applying to schools, but while a student and beyond?

You're never too old.

I'm 26 and applied to schools this cycle- I had multiple PIs tell me that they liked that I was older and changed careers after some work experience. I think it shows that you've tried other things and this is seriously what you want to do. Just make sure you build up a good foundation and write a stellar personal statement explaining the transition.

I'm not in your discipline, but I'm almost 29, and I had a very successful application season and will be starting a PhD program at one of my top choices this fall.  I had the same experience as the other poster - my age and background were really a "plus" for me.  I am coming from an established career in another field, so I was advised to explain my transition in my SOP, which I did.  One of the schools where I was admitted, hardly anyone was straight out of undergrad, so I got the feeling it was a common path; I think the nontraditional students might just be a bit underrepresented on a site like this.

As far as the "beyond" applications... I really can't comment since I haven't started.  I am a bit wary of being 7 years older than some of the other students, but I am not really worried.  I have wondered how being older will affect my ultimate job search, but many people have assured me that it won't matter in my field - that I am actually the "average" age for a PhD student.  Just think, if you finish in your 30s, you will still have around 30 years of work ahead of you - I don't think 7 years is going to make much difference... at least that's how I look at it :)

Edited by amlobo

I'm 37 and I just finishing my undergrad degree. My age was not what kept me from getting into a PhD program this app round  :) And, I was accepted to several masters programs. I don't think they really care about your age. The program I applied had most all students in their 30's. I don't look 'almost 40', but I certainly don't look 20 either and I fit in with the other people there just fine..

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps!

I have noticed that most of the people active on this board are either currently undergraduates or they  graduated only a few years ago. I'm almost 30 and finished my undergrad degree 7 years ago. I'm taking a few undergraduate classes and looking to gain some research experience. Still, it may take me some time before I'm prepared to even start applying to grad school.

Am I too old to be starting down this career path?

How might starting now affect my prospects, not only when applying to schools, but while a student and beyond?

You are absolutely, unequivocally not too old. One of the students in my incoming cohort is in her mid-40s, and our program is very competitive.

Older students have maturity and a sense of focus that often helps them excel in graduate school compared to their younger, early-20's peers. I'm not sure what your career goals are (an academic versus a practitioner career), but either way, jobs that require a doctorate in psychology are largely merit-based. If you're truly good at what you do, your record will speak for itself and you'll get a great job regardless of how old or young you are.

I say go for it, and remember that your age is a strength, not a disadvantage!

I started,rather restarted, college at 30 years old. Now I am 35 and heading full steam into the last semester of my first year in a Ph.D. program!!! All the while doing this with 2 children, one who has Autism and  husband.  I use to think the same thing about my age,but in my interview I played it up as a benefit. I said things like, I know what it means to be in the real world, so you don't have to question my comitment to your program. Also, my age allows me to understand concepts and theories in a real world way that some younger classmates may not really get yet.  In the end, I think it shows that you know what you are doing. 

Finally, I have never been so personally satisfied. Going back to school was the best decision of my "own" life. Hope this helps!!! Good luck following your dreams!

Guest |||

No you are not too old.

Apply, and don't care what others think.  Let the sound of you enjoying your life drown out the haters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm in my 40s and I've decided to go back to finish my undergraduate degree. Life just caught up with me for a long time and I realized that was a huge chunk missing. So whatever comes of it, I plan on taking it as far as I can go. I've had enough time devoted to working dead-end jobs. Time to hit the books.

I officially entered my "post-late-20s" over a year ago. I'm in a slightly different position as I already have my Master's but it's still daunting to jump back into the academic fray. As others have said, it can be of benefit to be older and more mature, the big question I would ask is how much of your lifestyle are you willing to give up to do this?