Renaissance Lit

Sorry to repeat any previous postings, but I will be submitting applications for MA and (possibly) PhD programs for Fall 2014, and I'm wondering: what are the best schools out there for specializing in Renaissance literature? I'm thinking specifically Ren drama, Shakespeare, Jonson, Spenser, and Milton. Thanks in advance!

Top for Ren in general, I'd say*: Northwestern, Columbia, Penn, UNC, Stanford, Michigan, Rutgers, Penn State, UCLA, UC Davis, UVA.

You're looking at quite canonical stuff, so almost anywhere that's strong in Renaissance lit would be good for you. Plus, everywhere that's strong in Ren in general is also strong for Ren drama, because that's how the field has gone for the last 30 years (though that is something that's changing now, it seems).

* Not in a calculated order, but in the order that immediately comes to mind; take that as you will. Bear in mind there are also a number of other really strong programs, but these are the ones that tend to get the most buzz these days.

ETA: I would not recommend doing an MA at any of these places, unless it's the first phase of the PhD (a la Penn State). 

Edited by Phil Sparrow

In addition to the ones Phil Sparrow mentioned, I'd suggest you look into Ohio State and UT Austin, both of which have a number of great scholars working on early modern drama.

Selecting the best and most appropriate programs to apply to also depends on what your particular research interests are.  Do you know what you want to focus on?

Thanks for the input! As far as my specific interests, I'm still working on that. I will be writing an Honor's thesis in the Fall and plan on focusing on some aspect of theatricality in Milton, but I don't know what I will be focusing on past that.

My advisor had pointed out a few other programs, namely Villanova, University of Maine, Wake Forest...he seems to think I may be best served to apply to terminal MA programs instead of PhD programs. I'm coming out of Toledo, which I know isn't a school especially known for their humanities grads, so I'm fighting a stigma here; I think that's why he's recommending I play it rather cautiously.

I'm going to echo Rutgers.  I was super keen on them when I was still doing early modern.  But I would also add that I think it's a good idea to have a fail safe.  I thought I was definitely-no-matter-what going to work on early modern drama, and here I am in the 18th century studying Richardson.  So... look for what's strong for you, but also think about whether that will close doors in case you change your mind, I guess.  

I did my M.A. at Georgetown - it's an amazing program with excellent early modernists - I worked with the main drama scholars in the department and they're great.  The two new Miltonists they hired are also absolutely amazing.

Honestly, I'd highly recommend putting in an app to GU's M.A - it really preps you for Ph.d. work, and if your advisor thinks that a MA might help you, GU is definitely going to really help - I came from a school not at all known for its humanities, and GU definitely upgraded me and made me more competitive.

Rutgers is amazing for early modern and they have an incredibly rich program with tons of interdisciplinary opportunities (for example research going on in Renaissance science studies / women's writing / queer studies in particular). I was astounded by how much support students are given.

WUSTL is strong in early modern studies. 

Penn State also has some things going on in the early modern. They have a digital humanities project right now converting 16th century emblem books and they have a pretty extensive Renaissance library. Laura Knoppers does Milton there.

I'll also second Penn. 

UMass is ok, but the strength of their program is mostly in the Renaissance Center which has a very impressive archive for a public university. I was extremely underwhelmed by their faculty offerings and their classes.