What do you know of NYU SCPS MS in Global Affairs?

I have been admitted to NYU SCPS MS in Global Affairs for the fall semester. However, after much extensive research, so far I have found nothing but vague reviews about the credibility of the school. Some say it’s just a system for the school to drain money out of desperate students that seeks to have a NYU titled degree that’s not worth the price or the time. Contrarily, the school has alumni representing Italy and St Vincent at the United Nations as well as alumni working at the German Embassy in Manhattan and the Clinton Foundation for International Development. My aim in posting this question is to get a sound response as to the credibility of the school. Simply put, is NYU SCPS Global Affairs garbage? Or is it worthwhile?

Note NYU SCPS is not my only option. I have also been admitted to the University of South Florida, St John’s University, and the University of Oklahoma. However, all of those universities combine does not add up to the hands on international experience New York City offers within itself.

Please address the post without bias opinionated response, thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm kind of in the same situation as you except for the fact that I applied for the Ms in Management and Systems program and that I still haven't gotten an admission decision.

If I may ask... when did you apply and when did you hear back from the school? :-/

• 1 month later...

Hi Schwarzgelber!

Can I just ask you if you decided to attend the MS Global Affairs? I'm really interested in it and want to apply for it next year.

Did you get any meaningful information on the program and all the questions you were asking in your previous post?

And also, just so I can weight my chances to be accepted, what kind of background do you have (professional and educational etc), if I may ask?

Sorry I'm not very helpful with your own decisions... Hope you figured it out!

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd offer my pov about SCPS:

Garbage or worthwhile? The one key difference between SCPS (or any Continuing Ed) and a traditional grad program is emphasis on practical application vs. thoery/research. Courses at SCPS are predominantly taught by industry professionals, some very well-respected ones, with a more pragmatic curriculum. GSAS and Stern seem to have a lot of profs who are published authorities, grounding the International Relations coursework in political theory, for example. It's better to ask yourself what kind of student you are and which program satisfies your needs. Do you want to learn how be a Director of an NGO or analyze political rheotric? Some orgs would be thrilled you understood their lingo and operation, however, the State Department might view a graduate of Georgetown's School of Foreign Service more keenly.

In terms of acceptance, it's best to compare requirements for admission, understand funding and program competitiveness. SCPS doesn't require GREs or interviews -- only transcripts and one short essay -- has no funding to speak of and accepts more than half of its applicants. I have no idea how self-aware you are, but I beleive knowing what you want makes a huge difference in determining your course. SCPS might be a perfect fit.

• 6 months later...

I have been admitted to NYU SCPS MS in Global Affairs for the fall semester. However, after much extensive research, so far I have found nothing but vague reviews about the credibility of the school. Some say it’s just a system for the school to drain money out of desperate students that seeks to have a NYU titled degree that’s not worth the price or the time. Contrarily, the school has alumni representing Italy and St Vincent at the United Nations as well as alumni working at the German Embassy in Manhattan and the Clinton Foundation for International Development. My aim in posting this question is to get a sound response as to the credibility of the school. Simply put, is NYU SCPS Global Affairs garbage? Or is it worthwhile?

Note NYU SCPS is not my only option. I have also been admitted to the University of South Florida, St John’s University, and the University of Oklahoma. However, all of those universities combine does not add up to the hands on international experience New York City offers within itself.

Please address the post without bias opinionated response, thanks in advance.

schwarzgelber, did you finally join the course. i am at the cusp of the same situation you found yourself in last year and hence am very keen to know if you took it up and if it was worthwhile. 

thanks 

Hi ,

I am an international student and have applied for the MS program at NYU SCPS - in Global Affairs for Fall this year and am awaiting their response. 

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my queries, as I am quite worried right now : 

1. The cost of the program in substantive, however my question is to understand if the program and the school are worth the investment of time energy and money. 

2. Is there financial aid available for international students?

2. What are the possible job opportunities for international students after the program. Or are we supposed to just go back to our home countries and slog it out again to try and get work. 

Thanks for any info anyone could provide.

• 4 months later...

Having been accepted to the school, I can speak with a bit more authority than in my previous post about SCPS. I declined to attend the Master's Program for a couple reasons: My interaction with advising and program faculty left me really uninspired. It felt like high school administration pushing students through a curriculum instead of a place of post bacc learning or anything approaching a higher-minded goal. I wasn't looking for academic elites but I could barely pull a point of view about the disciplines out of anyone. Guidance was very ordered and structured. I took a couple non-credit courses before deciding whether to attend. They were very easy and very tactical - which might be fine - but definitely wouldn't prepare me to sit with a CEO or other high-level executive to discuss strategy. I also did a ton of research about the professors, but I think people's expectations differ too greaatly for my opinion to offer any value. It wasn't a good fit for me. The program seems designed for people who want to be better at their trade by learning more 'how-to' than those equally (or more) interested in the 'why'.

I know these conclusions are my own and others must love the school. Overall, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.