Didn't Meet Conditional Acceptance Average - What do I do now?

MissMoneyJenny

I've been conditionally accepted into grad school and on that condition I need a B+ average from my forth year to get in. I fucked up and I have a B- as my final average from this year. There is one grade I might be able to move up to the next level, if I ask the prof, but I am unsure about doing this because I didn't really have a relationship with them at all. Even with this my average still won't be a B+

Any advice for the next steps I can take? I don't want to have to do more time in my undergrad . . .

I don't really see what you can do except try and negotiate the situation on both ends as much as possible. Perhaps you could get the condition lowered to a B and you could get one or more profs to allow you to earn extra credit and improve your grade. I'd say it's worth contacting every professor who you've taken a class with this semester, regardless of how close you are to them. Explain the situation and ask for help (but keep in mind that they will be doing you a favor, and treat it appropriately). If there is no way to meet the condition, maybe you could try and negotiate an extension; at that point, I don't see a way around staying longer and improving your grades, or else graduating now and re-applying all over again next year and hoping for better results.

Thanks for the advice guys. My school allows us to review our final exams so I have arranged for meetings with 3 of my professors to do so (one professor already raised everyone's grades by 9% and the other refuses to change grades so I won't be seeing them). I am also considering retaking the course I did very poorly in over the summer, if the school will allow that grade to count. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone here is so much nicer than me.  I must be taking crabby pills.

As a PhD student who teaches - it sounds like a nightmare for your profs.  You said you F-d up, but now are trying to hunt down any point you can find or negotiate. What happens when you find every legit point and come up a little short?  I would hate having a student putting me in that spot.

Second, a B- average would be on the cusp of failing out of grad school where the work will be much harder. So you might want to find a more successful strategy to assure doing well if  you get in.