confused undergrad student... HELP!

Hey fellow anthropology enthusiasts!

My name is Dana and I am born and raised in Israel. I am currently studying my BA in behavioral science at the Ben-Gurion University in Beer Sheva, Israel. The program includes Anthropology.

I am very interested in socio cultural anthropology and since I am an American Citizen (my parents are American) I am considering doing a graduate program in the states. 

This is where you guys come in: I would like to know which grad schools would be the most appropriate for the study of spiritual tourism and the junction between eastern and western cultures and new age consumerism (not sure what country I would like to study yet- Israel, maybe California, Central America Of Asia). Of course I want recommendations of grad programs with the best reputation, that would further my academic career or possibly a career in tourism. I also don't have enough money to be in a program without a full scholarship.

After the recommendations on appropriate programs if anyone has insight about the process of getting in to a program in the US from abroad that would be helpful as well.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dana     

Hello,

Generally the best way to go about finding programs is to look at all the different departments' websites - you'll come across different people whose research interests intersect with yours in various ways.  While some people might be able to give you suggestions on here, ultimately you're best placed to find a program that fits you.  An easy way of finding a list of anthropology departments is through the AAA's eAnthroGuide - https://avectra.aaanet.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?webcode=AAAGuidListDir.  You can see through the departments' websites the different funding options available.

As far as applying from abroad, in some cases there are earlier application deadlines but generally it is largely the same as applying from the US.  You need to make sure you allow enough time for official transcripts to arrive (if required), and still need to arrange taking the GRE exam.  If English is not the principal language of instruction for your degree you'll also likely need to take the TOEFL test.  As a US  citizen you'll still be eligible for various funding options that generally aren't open to international applicants.

Good luck :)

This is really helpful thank you!

Generally speaking, is there a serious "top ten socio cultural anthropology programs in the US" I should know about? I don't live in the US so I am really starting from scratch...

This is really helpful thank you!

Generally speaking, is there a serious "top ten socio cultural anthropology programs in the US" I should know about? I don't live in the US so I am really starting from scratch...

There are ranked lists around online. They will generally have schools like Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Michigan, Chicago, Columbia, etc. That being said, you shouldn't just apply to the top schools overall but the ones that have people you want to work with. I would suggest finding people who are doing work similar to what you want to do (you should know them better than we do because you're reading them) and checking out their programs.

Pick programs that have a variety of people you would be happy working with. Also make sure these people are still researching those things by checking out their most recent publications and reading them.