Phone Interview for an Assistantship Position; Help?

jesso21

I have a phone interview for a Graduate Assistantship position coming up (a library position). I'm really nervous about this phone call! I really really want this!

Does anyone know what sort of questions they might ask? Just in general. She stated that it will be an "informal interview," but IDK. I want to rock this!

I'm trying to compile a list of possible things she could ask. So any ideas will be helpful.

Also, I don't have any library experience. How can I spin this to seem not so negative?

Thanks for any and all help! :?

I have no idea about library positions but I can tell you the content of my interview about a GRA position. I went all prepared to talk about my research, my strengths and weaknesses, etc. All the guy asked was "what are you interested in? This is just so that we can place you in a project of your interest". That was ALL he wanted to know!

These things are never uniform across departments, universities and people. There is however no need to be nervous as its almost quite impossible to bomb an informal interview that will probably ask you if you are comfortable working that job. For example, I told him that I was very uncomfortable coding as I had had minimal experience and would not be comfortable in a project which would demand that of me. He said that as long as I was a quick learner, it was not going to be a problem, which was perfectly fine with me. So I guess you should just say that you're more than willing to work at the library though you've had no experience and are sure that you will be a fast learner and will work efficiently.

I have a phone interview for a Graduate Assistantship position coming up (a library position). I'm really nervous about this phone call! I really really want this!

Does anyone know what sort of questions they might ask? Just in general. She stated that it will be an "informal interview," but IDK. I want to rock this!

I'm trying to compile a list of possible things she could ask. So any ideas will be helpful.

Also, I don't have any library experience. How can I spin this to seem not so negative?

Thanks for any and all help! :?

I have a phone interview for assistantships at my top choice school in a couple weeks and I'm terrified!! So I totally feel your nervousness, because I have no clue what they'll ask, either! Good luck!!

I went all prepared to talk about my research, my strengths and weaknesses, etc. All the guy asked was "what are you interested in? This is just so that we can place you in a project of your interest". That was ALL he wanted to know!

Whoa! that's pretty simple! I've been jotting down some notes about my strengths, weaknesses, and experiences. I need to relax and make sure to answer her questions clearly and thoroughly.

I wish I could go into this feeling confident and not super nervous, but this is a position that would change how my grad school life will play out. It seems like so much is riding on this phone call--financially mostly.

wickedcurves, Good luck on your interview as well! I'll post here about how it went soon after it is over. (it will be nice to vent to others in similar situations!!)

From my own experience, I would offer the following advice:

1. Be prepared to speak about how you will fit into that particular school. ie How do your interests align with which professor's work? How does the atmosphere/philosophy of the institution fit you? How does the program/curriculum fit your education/professional goals? etc...

2. As one of the posters mentioned above, be prepared to discuss your academic interests at length and in considerable detail. They know that you think you are a good fit, but they want to determine if their faculty interests really can support your research.

3. Although they probably won't ask for this information, it is a big plus if you can speak about the students/alumni with which you have communicated. They will be impressed if you've done your homework on the academic program as well as the day-to-day lifestyle.

In short, like any good sales pitch (academics, commercial products...dating ;), be prepared to speak about yourself AND about them!

All the best in your interview :)

Ugh. I finished the interview a couple of hours ago, and I will be really surprised if I get it. I don't have any real experience in this field, and I think she was sort of disappointed in my answers to general questions. I asked her questions, and it seems like the job would have been a great learning experience...oh well. :( I hope I let her know how eager I am to learn, but we'll see. blah!