MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Hey all,

First time posting-I wish I had found this forum while I was applying! I applied to the U of T MPH-Epidemiology program for September and got my email yesterday saying I got in :). My application status still says under review....but I got the email. Looking forward to seeing some of you in the fall!

Hi all - I didn't have time to check updates from everyone since I was here last, but for anyone still waiting on uAlberta for MPH Global Health, I just got an email saying they've filled their 'quota' (so it was a rejection email lol); also was recommended for admin by UofT OEH on Monday but I've declined them now

CONGRATULATIONS to all those who received offers this week!

And Good Luck to those still waiting - there's still time for many programs :)

PS: for those moving to/from Toronto in Fall 2014 - I'm looking to move there so msg me if you have any advice :D Thanks

my U of A was a straight rejection, no explanation.

so u heading to Cali or TO? 

OMG! Congratulations, guys! :) Awesome news!

I'm waiting on UofT Epi as well.

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks! Good Luck!!

Stats: 

Final Year, my GPA:3.85, 8 month work experience in a research organization in the epidemiology department, conducted my own research study for a research seminar course (4 month qualitative research study), took an introductory stats course in my first year and now in my final year. 

Congrats on all the offers! Just wondering, what were the deadlines for each uni to respond to their offer?

For Queen's it was this past Monday. I am unsure about the acceptance deadlines for the other 2 as they are stated in the official offer letters that are being mailed out (havent received them yet).

Anyone taking the MPH program at Waterloo?? Just heard back from them saying I got in!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with a question I have.

I wanted to stay back another year in my undergrad and take research courses. Does anyone know whether Waterloo allows the continuation of undergrad degrees while also doing the MPH program? Since the waterloo program is a distance ed, I would be able to do both if neither of the institutions had an objection to it. I'm going to call Waterloo to find out tomorrow, but if anyone has any information, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Hey guys! I've been reading this forum for a while. I just got accepted into Queen's Master of Public Health today! I also applied to U of A's Global Health program and I haven't heard back from them yet. And I also applied to McMaster's Master of Science - Global Health program (but that comes out later in May). I'm thinking of accepting Queen's! Maybe we should start a facebook group or something? :) Congrats to everyone that got acceptances!! 

Hi Merang

when you email them did them reply you ? what email did you use?

Doug just emailed me yesterday. I used my work email. It just said:

Due to the large volume of applications to the MPH program, the Committee continues to review the applications. The School will let you know as soon as it is available the outcome of your application.

Doug just emailed me yesterday. I used my work email. It just said:

Due to the large volume of applications to the MPH program, the Committee continues to review the applications. The School will let you know as soon as it is available the outcome of your application.

Did you use dthompso@uvic.ca? This waiting makes me anxious. I haven't received any email from him.

Hey MPH Epi and ahnoom, congratulations! :) I received the email yesterday as well.

I started a FB group for our Epi classmates - please feel free to join! :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/496520350447856/

HEY thank you and many congrats to you as well !!

So excited to start and meet my new cohort :D

I tried opening the link but it isn't taking me to a group directly, do you mind telling me the name of the group so I could search it up?

OMG! Congratulations, guys! :) Awesome news!

I'm waiting on UofT Epi as well.

Would you mind sharing your stats?

Hey,  thank you :)

My stats: Final year GPA 4.12/4.33 , Bachelors in Public Health. One research project under my belt and experience in a not for profit organization as well as volunteer work as a research assistant. 

Best of luck to you ! I hope you get good news soon

Anyone interested in a general UofT MPH facebook group?  The community nutrition program is so small (10 people) that it would be nice to network with individuals in other specializations.

Anyone interested in a general UofT MPH facebook group? The community nutrition program is so small (10 people) that it would be nice to network with individuals in other specializations.

Hey RunnerGrad! Congrats on your acceptance :)

Having a general MPH group is a great idea especially since many of our first year courses will be shared. It'd be great to learn more about the different MPH specializations at UofT too.

For all accepted U of T MPHers (OEH, Nutrition, HP, Epi etc.) for Fall 2014: please join https://www.facebook.com/groups/266420353529631/

Edited by jajambo

I've been accepted to UVic MPH and USask MPH. And I chose the MPH program @ UVic. Anyone else accepted the UVic offer? I am still seeing many people waiting to get a response from UVic.

Anyone who is on a wait list for SFU Population Health or USask, I will be declining offers soon.

Congrats to everyone who got in! I see a lot of people super excited about the UofT Epi program and it is clearly many people's first choice. I didn't really consider UofT for moving and financial reasons so never really looked into it. Is the Epi program there really good?

Anyone else hear back from Queens or Guelph yet? Would really like to know when they plan on releasing responses for wait list and rejections ...

I heard back from Queen's yesterday! I got accepted, and I have until April 30th to make my decision! I'm guessing you will hear back soon! It seems like they are doing rolling admissions. 

Hey guys! I've been reading this forum for a while. I just got accepted into Queen's Master of Public Health today! I also applied to U of A's Global Health program and I haven't heard back from them yet. And I also applied to McMaster's Master of Science - Global Health program (but that comes out later in May). I'm thinking of accepting Queen's! Maybe we should start a facebook group or something? :) Congrats to everyone that got acceptances!! 

Hey! curious what was your GPA? Thanks!

hey friends,

I have to share a good news. I am selected by my second most desired program- Masters of health administration in Dalhousie university. My first choice was UBC's MHA program but couldnt get in. 

I will request you guys to give me a feed back about Dalhousie as university and Halifax as a place to live, as I am an international student (from India). Is it too cool to survive or job opportunities?

I would also like to ask how should I contact faculty members to be considered for Funding or scholarship, as I do not have any word from their side (grad coorinator says wait till you hear from us). The differential fee for international students is too high to be affordable, but this program is my only option, so I wanna join any way. 

Any piece of advice will be very valuable. thankyou

Thanks ahnoom and MPHepi for sharing! Awesome stats guys! Congrats once again.

Unfortunately, didn't make the cut. I thought I was competitive... but maybe not competitive enough. Strong GPA, espeech in my last year. I have experimental research experience, strong statistics background, spoke at 2 confrences about my research/might be publishing my paper in a prestigious journal. I was a science student, but not health sci. Guess it really makes a difference to UofT.

Glad McMaster looked beyond that. Bah, guess everything happens for a reason.

Anywho - Congratulations to everyone who got in and good luck to everyone waiting!

:)

Thanks ahnoom and MPHepi for sharing! Awesome stats guys! Congrats once again.

Unfortunately, didn't make the cut. I thought I was competitive... but maybe not competitive enough. Strong GPA, espeech in my last year. I have experimental research experience, strong statistics background, spoke at 2 confrences about my research/might be publishing my paper in a prestigious journal. I was a science student, but not health sci. Guess it really makes a difference to UofT.

Glad McMaster looked beyond that. Bah, guess everything happens for a reason.

Anywho - Congratulations to everyone who got in and good luck to everyone waiting!

:)

If you don't mind me asking, what are you stats?