MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Hey all,

Just wanted to let anyone else still waiting for U of T Epi that I have been made an offer!  I will most likely be accepting.. it does look like they are moving down the waitlist  though so there's still hope for anyone waiting.

Hey all,

Just wanted to let anyone else still waiting for U of T Epi that I have been made an offer!  I will most likely be accepting.. it does look like they are moving down the waitlist  though so there's still hope for anyone waiting.

I wanted to say the same thing. After 5 months of waiting, I received an offer from UofT Epi today!

To all those still waiting, I feel your pain! Hang in there and don't give up hope.

Hi Everyone-- 

I'm on the wait list at memorial for their MPH. I called 2 weeks ago and the lady I was talking to said that the next round of acceptances would come late May. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything?

She said that in a typical year they will accept anywhere between 8-12 off the wait list, which has 15 people on it. And she also said that you aren't ranked in order on the wait list.. which seemed kind of weird to me. 

Hi everyone,

I am finishing up my undergrad at UBC in Kin. I got rejected from UBC MPH early March but I got an acceptance phone call from UWO MPH today (I missed their call yesterday and somewhat panicked).

I see that not that many people applied to UWO? It does make me a little nervous knowing that the tuition is extremely pricy ($28 000 for the 12 month program).

UWO is a very new program  (and its still developing to my knowledge). This September will only be its second year running I believe. This might be why not many people applied. 

I just finished my first year of course work in my MPH at Queen's and I'm currently in my practicum. When I applied, I was initially wait listed. I got my acceptance at the end of May.

A friend of mine who also eventually got accepted did not hear back until July. So don't lose hope.

My cohort at Queen's has 21 students. This year I believe there will be 31 or 32 students accepted. The department continues to offer admission until all spots are filled, I believe.

The Queen's program is about 6 years old and it improves every year based on student feedback. I have had a great experience so far. Our department is small and very welcoming. 

It is a big change adjusting to life in a smaller town coming from Toronto (where I'm from) or other major cities. But the small program size helps create a family for you in Kingston.

Good luck everyone.

Hi guys, I am pretty confused about my situation and I wonder if I am alone in this. I applied to U of T Health promotion. I have not heard back AT ALL. I know from posts that people have been accepted, rejected or wait listed. I have gotten none of these as a feedback. I did not want to bother the school initially, but a few days ago I decided to contact the general inquiries and the lady was not exactly sure why I hadn't heard anything and confirmed the application status as still under review, I am wondering what next I need to do? I am going crazy!!!

I'm also in the same boat as you! I applied to lakehead university and I'm yet to get a response from them. I have contacted the school and was told my application is under review. They couldn't give me much too regarding the application and admissions. I was told to just keep checking my application page to monitor when my status will change! I'm going CRAZ-IER!!!!!!!!!

I applied for Global Health Program at the DLSPH. My application is "under review", still... Emailed them and got response saying that my application is most likely still active and on the waitlist. But it's alreay June. How many are here with the same dilemma?  

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone planning on rejecting their offer to Queens? I am third on the waitlist. I have accepted my offer for Waterloo's online program but need to make a decision for a job offer. It would be helpful to know what my chances are for Queens. 

Edited by figuringitout

• 3 weeks later...

Have my fellow UofT MPH students seen the course timetables for the Fall and Winter semesters? http://www.dlsph.utoronto.ca/page/timetables

For the Fall, I'll have classes three days a week, plus Friday afternoons on the days we have the CHL5004H course.  Then for the Winter, I'll have classes three days a week.  As I'm commuting, I'm quite happy that I don't have to make it into Toronto five days a week!

Maybe I'll be in a CHL5004H group with some of you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I didn't get into UBC MPH but I went to UBC for 5 years and I lived here for most of my life so I guess I could say I know my way around here.  Living in Vancouver is very expensive.  If you want to live by yourself, it costs about $1000 per month even outside campus and it is more expensive on the west side (UBC, Kitsilano, Kerrisdale, Point grey etc.). If you live on the west side, it will take to 10-30 minutes to get to UBC depending on the bus route.  If you share a place with someone, it can cost from $600-$800 a month for a room.  To be honest, living on campus is the best and UBC residences are one of the best out there I think.  The res costs around $650-$850, I believe. UBC itself is like a mini town.  I lived on campus for 4 years and I loved every moment of it. I personally recommend Fraser Hall.  There are more mature students in this building.  It's quite close to the Public Health building and it's right on the bus route, and not too far from the village.  If you decide to rent a place in the east side, it can take around 30 minutes to an hour to bus home. You have to keep in mind that it rains quite a lot in Vancouver, especially during winter time, and it sucks to bus home after a long day.. the bus 99 which goes on broadway is cramped with people and quite smelly during rush hours haha. You would probably have to get rainboots :)  Also, the upass is $30/ month but it's included in your tuition unless you want to exempt out of it.  You have to pick it up from the student union building, or the bookstore every month and it is VERY USEFUL!

If you have any questions about Vancouver, please let me know. I would be happy to answer them!

Hey, hope you are doing well. 

I really appreciated your input earlier this summer regarding living in Vancouver. I was really hoping to get a spot for on-campus res but it didn't work out because of the long waiting list. Now I'm having a really hard time finding a suitable place. Is there something you can recommend (like a rental agencies or areas that are cheaper) or know of anyone looking for a roommate?  

Any input would be greatly appreciated! 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to apply for Fall 2015 to some MPH programs but don't have much volunteer experience :(

I live in in the GTA, does anyone have any recommendations for volunteer experience that would be an asset to my application? 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

When you get into a general program, the first year you have to take the core competencies of public health. These courses focus on biostatistics, epidemiology, program planning etc and are necessary to make you completely prepared for your practicum. The programs that have these are mainly accredited  (such as the MPH at USASk which just recently got ASPHER accreditation), but I believe most programs have this requirement. Then, in your second year, you get to choose which courses you want to take. If you end up liking more epidemiology courses, then take more epidemiology courses and you can mention that you specialized in epidemiology for example. In the end, where you do your practicum is really important because employers care mainly about your experiences and how you've been able to apply the knowledge you've learned in public health. If you want to get into global health, then going to do a practicum at WHO would be essential for example. 

I am currently a first year MPH student at uSask originally form Ontario and I am enjoying the program so far. 

Hi!

How will be job prospects after completing the MPH in Canada?

Iam a student from India and I am planning to apply for MPH in Canada?

Which University do you think is good for MPH?

How much will be the course fee for MPH?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! I have recently been accepted to the U of T MPH program for fall 2015, but am looking into deferring my offer for one year. Has anyone else done this in the past? Was it easy enough to do? Thanks!