MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Hi All, 

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice..

I started my Bachelor of Science in Psychology Degree in 2005. Unfortunately, due to mental issues (depression), I ended up failing a lot of courses... (equivalent to almost a year and a half worth). This bad trend continued until last year when I really sought to get help. I am pleased to write and say that I've overcome my depression, and this year received all As (with a couple of A+s).

Since most MPH programs require at least your two last years, I'm in a dilemma. I wasn't sure if I should continue to take more courses on top of what I require..or..do a second Undergraduate Degree. I talked with my Academic Advisor, and she said that I could potentially finish my second Undergrad in about 1.5 years. Would admissions committees frown on someone taking this long to complete their first undergraduate degree with more courses then what's required for graduation?

Any suggestions?

Edited by albalinea

Hi guys!

I'm going to be joining the MPH program at Guelph come fall 2014 and just had some questions for you all...

What do you guys know about the job market in terms of recent MPH grads? Are there really opportunities to flourish out there? Tuition is expensive and I just...*sigh*, hope it won't be impossible to find stable, decent work in our respective specialities when we all have our degrees in our hands.

With my MPH I am interested in getting into emergency management as well - however since Guelph is so food and veterinary focussed I'm not sure how that helps me.

Any advice, guys? Good luck.

Hi guys!

I'm going to be joining the MPH program at Guelph come fall 2014 and just had some questions for you all...

What do you guys know about the job market in terms of recent MPH grads? Are there really opportunities to flourish out there? Tuition is expensive and I just...*sigh*, hope it won't be impossible to find stable, decent work in our respective specialities when we all have our degrees in our hands.

With my MPH I am interested in getting into emergency management as well - however since Guelph is so food and veterinary focussed I'm not sure how that helps me.

Any advice, guys? Good luck.

This is my biggest concern as well. There really aren't that many job postings online, but everything I hear says that the majority of people get jobs after graduation out of their practicums. I asked this question to each of the universities that I applied to, and most don't have any kind of data on it, but say that their students do find work. However, SFU says that it does collect data from their alumni, and said that they have a 95% employment rate. Obviously some students go on to do a PhD or a professional program such as medical school so I'm not sure exactly how that data works, but that's all I have been able to find out.

It would be nice to hear from actual grads about this sort of thing.

Was recently accepted to Waterloo. Likely going to turn it down to attend Lakehead instead. Just thought I would share to inform acceptances still being offered :)

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me what made you choose lakehead over waterloo. I am currently deciding between the two as well!

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me what made you choose lakehead over waterloo. I am currently deciding between the two as well!

I think Waterloo is a much older program. 

This is my biggest concern as well. There really aren't that many job postings online, but everything I hear says that the majority of people get jobs after graduation out of their practicums. I asked this question to each of the universities that I applied to, and most don't have any kind of data on it, but say that their students do find work. However, SFU says that it does collect data from their alumni, and said that they have a 95% employment rate. Obviously some students go on to do a PhD or a professional program such as medical school so I'm not sure exactly how that data works, but that's all I have been able to find out.

It would be nice to hear from actual grads about this sort of thing.

Totally. Some solid data would be nice, but I'm assuming chances at finding jobs through networking within the program and of course the practicum aren't necessarily abysmal. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Hi Guys,

I didn't get into UBC MPH but I went to UBC for 5 years and I lived here for most of my life so I guess I could say I know my way around here.  Living in Vancouver is very expensive.  If you want to live by yourself, it costs about $1000 per month even outside campus and it is more expensive on the west side (UBC, Kitsilano, Kerrisdale, Point grey etc.). If you live on the west side, it will take to 10-30 minutes to get to UBC depending on the bus route.  If you share a place with someone, it can cost from $600-$800 a month for a room.  To be honest, living on campus is the best and UBC residences are one of the best out there I think.  The res costs around $650-$850, I believe. UBC itself is like a mini town.  I lived on campus for 4 years and I loved every moment of it. I personally recommend Fraser Hall.  There are more mature students in this building.  It's quite close to the Public Health building and it's right on the bus route, and not too far from the village.  If you decide to rent a place in the east side, it can take around 30 minutes to an hour to bus home. You have to keep in mind that it rains quite a lot in Vancouver, especially during winter time, and it sucks to bus home after a long day.. the bus 99 which goes on broadway is cramped with people and quite smelly during rush hours haha. You would probably have to get rainboots :)  Also, the upass is $30/ month but it's included in your tuition unless you want to exempt out of it.  You have to pick it up from the student union building, or the bookstore every month and it is VERY USEFUL!

If you have any questions about Vancouver, please let me know. I would be happy to answer them!

This is so helpful, thank you so much!! I wonder if it's too late to apply for res housing :S 

hey all!

unsure if people are still checking this as regularly now that mot people have heard back from universities but I thought I would send a quick note hoping for advice as I imagine many of you have done a lot of research into the various schools.

I was accepted into UBC for an MPH and SFU for a MPH with the Global Health Concentration.

I am leaning towards SFU, as I feel the program appears to be more established and I would gain more practical skills and experience from it and potentially more support throughout my time there. I have been talking to both schools a lot but it is hard to get advice comparing the two.

SFU is both more expensive and a longer program so I feel I should have more concrete reasons for choosing it than just a gut feeling it is the right choice.

If anyone has any advice on the merits of either program I would really appreciate it!!

Just curious, how long is the MPH program that you are attending? I think most programs can be completed in 16months depending if you take 4/5 classes each semester. Though realistically, it would probably be close to 20months before completion. 

Just curious, how long is the MPH program that you are attending? I think most programs can be completed in 16months depending if you take 4/5 classes each semester. Though realistically, it would probably be close to 20months before completion. 

I think most are 16months - 24 months. Queen's MPH is 16 months and UWO's MPH is 12 months.  UWO's MPH is course-based with a practicum.. I think it's the same for Queen's? Correct me if I am wrong please!

I think most are 16months - 24 months. Queen's MPH is 16 months and UWO's MPH is 12 months.  UWO's MPH is course-based with a practicum.. I think it's the same for Queen's? Correct me if I am wrong please!

Queen's program is 16 months, with months 9-12 (Summer semester) being the practicum.

UofA Epi is 16 months minimum, with most students completing in 20months to have a better work/life balance. I think most of the other concentrations are the same, but if I recall correctly one is a 24 month program...

UofT, at least in the Community Nutrition concentration, is 20 months (5 semesters).  We do two semesters of coursework, then a semester of practica, then a semester of coursework, then a semester of practica.  That's with 5 courses/semester.

Totally a personal choice.  I know people who have attended both programs and while both are great, I feel Lakehead meets my needs better.