MPH 2014 CANADA APPLICANTS

Since so many people have received a "dept recommended" status on their U Sask application, has anyone seen a different status change on theirs?  Just wondering what a rejection/waitlisted status would look like.

I'm so confused...I applied to Usask and when I checked my application status last week it said "dept. recommend" but I didn't receive an email.  When I checked it again just now, it changed to "complete ready for review".

Does anyone know why that is?

Thanks!

my usask still says  "complete ready for review"   :unsure: 

Same with mine.

Can anyone with acceptance from Usask tell us how long after your status changed to 'complete ready for review' that you finally got an answer from them?

Hello everyone!

I have been silently watching the forum for long and had my fingers crossed till now.

Just received a official admit email from USask. Such a relief!!

Still waiting to hear from UVic, SFU, U of Alberta. Anyone else who got an admit from USask ?

Good luck to everyone who are waiting for acceptances!! :)

Many congrats, mate. I also applied at Usask. Today my application status has changed from 'Complete ready to review' to 'Dept. Recommend' and Application status is showing, Decision made but I haven't received any email from the school. I was wondering what would be the next stage? And will you please share your profile. Many thanks.....

Those that got accepted into Lakehead - could you please share your stats?

Solid GPA, undergrad from Guelph (biology) and Ryerson (public health), 10+ years working in the field of public health in various capacities including work with PHAC, PHO and the Ministry of Health and LTC.  Lots more on my CV and LOI but that's the gist of it :)

Those that got accepted into Lakehead - could you please share your stats?

Decent GPA (not as high as some of the people here), did my undergrad in a clinical health science program and a pure science program.  A few years of working in clinical resarch (epidemiology) and hospital QI and some experience doing front line work.  Also have a couple of published papers and poster acceptance under my belt.  There are other minor public health-related work that I did but those are the main stuff.  Hope that helps!

Wow you guys sure have your sh*t together, well done! Definitely more prepared than I am.. I have a solid GPA and solid references, but I'm just finishing my first degree in social work. I worked in healthcare for 4 years but I'm not sure if that's the kind of work they are looking for (I was a care aide with the elderly in the hospitals here). I guess we'll see!

Does anyone have any insight to the differences in the programs at UofA, UofS, and SFU (aside from SFU not having an Epidemiology concentration)?

I know funding isn't particularly great anywhere for these programs, but how about aspects such as opportunities to get involved with various on campus programs, participating in research, overall school experience, etc.? Finding out this type of information is just so difficult, and deciding between the 3 is difficult, there are pros and cons to each. 

Wow you guys sure have your sh*t together, well done! Definitely more prepared than I am.. I have a solid GPA and solid references, but I'm just finishing my first degree in social work. I worked in healthcare for 4 years but I'm not sure if that's the kind of work they are looking for (I was a care aide with the elderly in the hospitals here). I guess we'll see!

Don't get too caught up on peoples "stats".  Seriously.  Different schools look at different things and most like to have a variety of students with different academic and professional backgrounds.  Lakehead (LU) tends to send out rolling admissions and you may hear any day so again, don't get discouraged.  It's great that you received acceptance to another school as it is a very competitive field. I hope you hear soon, for peace of mind, and that everything works out for you :)

Don't get too caught up on peoples "stats".  Seriously.  Different schools look at different things and most like to have a variety of students with different academic and professional backgrounds.  Lakehead (LU) tends to send out rolling admissions and you may hear any day so again, don't get discouraged.  It's great that you received acceptance to another school as it is a very competitive field. I hope you hear soon, for peace of mind, and that everything works out for you :)

I completely agree with CaseyP02.  Public Health is such a broad field and everyone has a different idea of what they want to get out of the program.  So as long as you have a good LOI for Lakehead (along with your solid GPA and references), I'm sure you have a good chance!

I completely agree with CaseyP02.  Public Health is such a broad field and everyone has a different idea of what they want to get out of the program.  So as long as you have a good LOI for Lakehead (along with your solid GPA and references), I'm sure you have a good chance!

I wanted to say thanks to both of you for the encouraging words - when I feel like I've lost hope it makes such a huge difference to hear that others have not. Thank you for reminding me that there are still some rays of sunshine left - and that I should be noticing them! :)

aahhh I'm waiting for Queen's! Anybody have an idea when offers go out?

I'm waiting as patiently as I can for Queens too. According to last years forum, the first wave of acceptances went out during the first week of April. Fingers crossed and good luck!!!

I'm waiting as patiently as I can for Queens too. According to last years forum, the first wave of acceptances went out during the first week of April. Fingers crossed and good luck!!!

I called Queen's and they said probably in the next week or two.

Many congrats, mate. I also applied at Usask. Today my application status has changed from 'Complete ready to review' to 'Dept. Recommend' and Application status is showing, Decision made but I haven't received any email from the school. I was wondering what would be the next stage? And will you please share your profile. Many thanks.....

Thanks for your wishes.. If it says department recommend then the official admit email arrives almost 1 week after; although they do send the admit letter via snail mail(mine hasn't arrived yet :unsure: ). I am a dentist from India with gpa 3.95/4. I had a year of clinical experience , almost an year of experience in a health related non profit organisation  and some reserach experience. I think USask prefers people with existing medical background.

I am looking forward to meeting my new classmates and will be a creating a facebook page soon.   :rolleyes:

Me three! But I honestly didn't expect to hear anything until April anyway, that seems to be the standard. We will get our answers, for better or worse, soon enough :)

Good to know, thanks for sharing that!

Waiting for Queens too folks! Yikes 

Anyone hear from UofT- Epi stream?

Im assuming Guelph would be going out pretty late since their deadline was just this month :mellow:

Edited by ahnoom

Well, my UofT status finally changed to Decision Made, two weeks after I received notification of my admission via email!

I've also now been asked to provide official (paper) transcripts to UofT, as I had previously just uploaded the scans of my transcripts.

Was also accepted off the waitlist to my second choice program, but after some discussion with my husband, I'm going to stick with UofT.