Grad Student Assocations?

My department has a grad student association that organizes grad student conferences and other workshop type events, among other things.  They're always looking for people to join, and claiming that "it looks great on your academic resume."  I'd rather not spread myself too thin, and so I'm wondering if this is actually true? 

I'm probably a bad one to ask about spreading myself too thin. 

But I'm very active on the University level in our graduate student organization. 

I think how good it will look on your CV will depend on what you want to do after grad school. I think leadership positions look good for academic as well as industry jobs, and if you've sat on University Senate committees, it will show that you at least have a good idea of what academic service takes. 

If you want to go to R1 Academic positions, they aren't as important, mostly because of the time it takes away from the one major qualification- research. 

Also, never underestimate what they'll do unofficially in terms of faculty goodwill, if you have good interactions with your department through them. 

In the article "Deja Vu of Today's Application Files," Thomas J. Straka wrote about the best and the worst of applicant materials, for those applying for two tenture track positions: "The leadership statements are intended to be open-ended and relate to service. But few candidates took the ball and ran. Most just stumbled through it. Maybe few of the candidates had time to be leaders. Some mentioned being head of the departmental graduate-student association. That might seem to be minor, but hiring committees know that such graduate-student leaders usually stand out. Don't underestimate yourself; don't think committee members won't know how hard some of those "minor" accomplishments were. [...]"

It sounds like it's what you make of it during your studies, and how you might next use your GSA service to your advantage. Heed what Eigen said regarding research-academic positions, though.

Not really, no.  I mean it can be nice to know that you've organized a conference and done some service - especially if your goal is to end up at a small school where faculty are very involved and do a lot of service - but I don't think it really makes a significant difference on your CV. Around these parts, people try to avoid those kinds of commitments because it cuts into research time.

• 2 months later...

I took a student government position and I feel that I benefitted a lot from it.  I sat in academic committees and had the opportunity to contribute to the student culture of the program.  It was an important experience for me because I had never really done anything like that in my undergrad.  It really is what you make of it.  You can go through the motions or you can make positive contributions.  I feel that the faculty appreciated my service.  Also, it allows you to develop a relationship with faculty.  You are collaborating with them as a colleague.