Best psychology books that's not a textbook

digits2006

--I loved Morton Hunt's "The Story of Psychology."  (That was my introduction to psychology.  I would suggest it for every first-year psych undergrad.)

--William James' "The Varieties of Religious Experience" was also worth reading. 

--Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow" was also good.

--Right now I'm reading George Ainslie's "Breakdown of Will."

I recommend all books by Andy Clark. Although he is a philosopher, he has a really interesting theoretical framework for cognitive science.

Being There

Natural-Born Cyborgs

Supersizing the Mind

Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

Phantoms in the Brain by Ramachandran

Blank Slate by Steven Pinker

Sex Murder and the Meaning of Life by Douglas Kendrick

And if you might be willing to explore a bit of fiction, a lot of stuff by Dostoevsky works well

Guest joshw4288

Elliot Aronson's "The Social Animal", 2012

Roy Baumesiter's "Evil", 1996

Erich Fromm's "Anatomy of Human Destructiveness", 1973

Gordon Allport's "The Nature of Prejudice", 1958

Charles Cooley's "Human Nature and the Social Order", 1902

For something a little different, I recommend Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise.  Probably not listed as a "psychology" book, but it's definitely an exploration of decision making.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have Nate Silver's book on my shelf. Just gotta find time to read it. Has anyone read The Invisible Gorilla: How our Intutiions Decieve us by Simons & Charbis?

I second Temple Grandin's Thinking in Pictures and everything Oliver Sacks has ever written! 

If you have any interest in mindfulness meditation, I'd recommend any and all of the following: Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Wherever You Go There You Are' is great, though very much geared toward popular audience...James Austin's 'Zen and the Meditative Transformation of Consciousness' is also written for non-experts but is more informative for scientists. The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama (eds. Kabat-Zinn and Richard Davidson). 

Hm...others that are coming to mind:

Daniel Levitin's This is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession

Paul Bloom's "How Pleasure Works" ("Descartes' Baby: How Child Development Explains What Makes Us Human" is also pretty good)

Gary Marcus' Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Create the Complexity of Human Thought.

Raymond Fancher's "Pioneers of Psychology"

Franz de Waal's "Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved"

David Eagleman's Incognito 

V.S. Ramachandran's "The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human"

I would *not* recommend Ray Kurzweil's How to Create a Mind -- he's an AI researcher, one who's been out of active research for a while, I believe, and he says a lot of obvious things that don't really support the case he's trying to make. 

• 9 years later...