【HELP】Cambridge or Columbia/LSE?

Cecilia.C

Hi guys,

I got two offers from postgraduate studies and I don't know which one to choose. The two offers are:

01. University of Cambridge, Mphil in East Asian Studies
02. Columbia University, LSE, MA/MSc dual degree programme in International and World History

The latter one is a joint degree programme. The first year is in New York and the second year is in London.

There is no doubt that Cambridge has the excellent reputation. But two years experience in New York City and London also makes me feel excited. 

The Cambridge one seems more research-oriented whist Columbia one has more taught elements. 

I have no idea. Does anybody here currently study in Cambridge or this joint-degree programme? How's that feel??

I have to decide before 16th May. I would appreciate very much if somebody could offer me some suggestion!!! If you were me, which one would you chose and why?  

Thanks very much! smile.png

I've heard that a lot of dual-degree programs are essentially cash cows.. you don't get funding, they are very expensive, and they don't necessarily improve your chances of admission into a PhD program later on. Also, the research orientation at Cambridge would probably be more helpful in terms of a doctorate, IMO. 

The LSE/Columbia dual degree program is awesome but the fee's for the Columbia portion are not worth it. Although the LSE year is cheaper than the Columbia year, LSE is still the most expensive school in the UK.  If Columbia gives you a tuition waiver or money isn't an issue then the Dual Degree is a good program to consider.

If not, Cambridge is a solid school (you could take a second MPhil there if you really want a dual degree and it would be much cheaper) and London is only an hour away by train.  

No matter what program you choose you can't really go wrong.  The quality of education is the same, Cambridge is just cheaper.  What you get from the dual degree is the opportunity to live in New York and London.  

The LSE/Columbia dual degree program is awesome but the fee's for the Columbia portion are not worth it. Although the LSE year is cheaper than the Columbia year, LSE is still the most expensive school in the UK.  If Columbia gives you a tuition waiver or money isn't an issue then the Dual Degree is a good program to consider.

If not, Cambridge is a solid school (you could take a second MPhil there if you really want a dual degree and it would be much cheaper) and London is only an hour away by train.  

No matter what program you choose you can't really go wrong.  The quality of education is the same, Cambridge is just cheaper.  What you get from the dual degree is the opportunity to live in New York and London.  

As far as I'm aware Cambridge don't allow you to take a second degree of the same type, source:

https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/students/gradadmissions/prospec/apply/continuation/#second

Also keep in mind that coursework from another program isn't likely to transfer when/if you want to start a PhD (they may allow you to transfer maybe two courses, if any).

I've heard that a lot of dual-degree programs are essentially cash cows.. you don't get funding, they are very expensive, and they don't necessarily improve your chances of admission into a PhD program later on. Also, the research orientation at Cambridge would probably be more helpful in terms of a doctorate, IMO. 

Yeah you're right. The double degree one is extremely expensive....but I have also seen that they seemed put on a lot of effort on this program in terms of advertising, web delveoping, etc. 

Do you think one year program would be too short for a preparation of a Phd because you have to apply for Phd as soon as you arrive at Cambridge at Fall 2013.

Thank you for your answer!

They are both excellent institutions, but it seems that the reputation of Cambridge is slightly higher than the others. So, how much is the reputation matters when applying for a Phd or job?

I guess you are right, you can't do a second MPhil at Cambridge but another 1 year MSc from LSE is also possible, or a 1 year M.St. from Oxford instead of their 2 year MPhil.  

Yes, Cambridge has a stronger reputation but PhD admissions are more about how interesting your Masters project/Proposed PhD project is.  You must also consider how your justify your choice to go to Cambridge/(LSE/Columbia) in your statement of purpose (i.e. what did you do during your masters that made Cambridge/England the best place for you to be? or what made going to New York and then London/England a good idea?).  

You should also consider the academics you want to be close to.  Are there specific people at Cambridge who you want to supervise you/write letters of recommendation for you?  Would people at LSE/Columbia write you letters that would be more useful for your PhD applications because they are better known in the states?

For a Job it really doesn't matter where you go.  If you can afford the program or you would like to delay work for a while then, go to LSE/Columbia and live in 2 great cities where you can get solid job connections. If LSE/Columbia is too expensive or you don't want to wait 18 months before you start a job, then go to Cambridge.  

Yeah you're right. The double degree one is extremely expensive....but I have also seen that they seemed put on a lot of effort on this program in terms of advertising, web delveoping, etc. 

Do you think one year program would be too short for a preparation of a Phd because you have to apply for Phd as soon as you arrive at Cambridge at Fall 2013.

I have a friend who did a Master's in England (not Cambridge). This friend spent one year there writing a thesis, then had a gap year during which my friend worked in an unrelated field and applied for the PhD.

I have a friend who did a Master's in England (not Cambridge). This friend spent one year there writing a thesis, then had a gap year during which my friend worked in an unrelated field and applied for the PhD.

My professor suggested me to defer Columbia for one year, go to Cambridge first and then go to the joint degree. I think it looks like a good choice. I am going to draft a email to Columbia for a deferral. 

Do you have any idea what students usually say for deferral? Should I just say I plan to go to Cambridge first?  And how's the possibility for a deferral? Very limited? or university often welcome deferral?

Thanks!

My friend didn't do a dual degree... just went straight to England, did a research-based Master's, came back and applied for PhD programs in the US.

If you can afford it without going into debt, then the program might be good. I just would caution against having so much debt going into a PhD program, given that the job market is so rough.

Well hello there friends how y'all doing? Speaking from inside the bunker, so to speak, the MA/MSc is geared towards a global/international approach to studying history.  So for example, if you are an Americanist, your research topic should in theory be able to offer a narrative of American impact in a global context.  Now if that is not what you are really keen on and looking more for specialization (and my apologies if I am presuming incorrectly here), I would recommend the MPhil. As everyone here has said, the money can be an issue but there are always ways around those so please don't let that be the only deciding factor.  The ONE thing I have to forewarn you about either school though is that, do your research thoroughly and talk to as many people as possible.  Not just the rah-rah types.  Find the grizzled vets in other programs and get their honest opinions.