Summer Enrollment Issue

Hi all,

I have to enroll into a indepedent study for a summer program I got into. My advisor is out of town and cannot sign the form for it and she CCd me and the secertary who handles the paper and said that she is out of town and that use this email as proof that I can take it. The secertary to put it nicely is stubborn and will not proccess the paper. Period. I am seriously angry with her since it is not the first time she has done something like this. In order for me to be in this summer program, I have to take this course and the program starts less than 15 (business) days. What should I do or should I contact this week? I had this problem since last week on Friday and yesterday. I realize that it is early in the week. So, I just want to know who you guys think I should contact if my advisor (who is busy) does not answer within this week so I can go over the secertary's head. (the thing is I am not trying to but I might have to because she is messing with other peoples money..the grad college's money and the program who accepted me money.)

PS. I have found this department to be hostile and I have not even taken classes here yet. I love my advisor and I will not leave, but trust me they are trying to ruin some stuff for people and its not a conspiracy. I'm just sick of this crap that they are doing. *end rant*

Thank you,

really angry but optimistic pessimist (for today)

Give your advisor a chance to fix this. If matters are as you say, everyone in your department will have experience in appeasing this secretary. If you are left alone to figure this out (seems doubtful), the people who come to mind who you might go to - not knowing anything specific about your program - are the DGS and the department head, in that order. Also, perhaps there is someone else in the dept office who could help process the paperwork. You might also reach out to a more advanced current student of your advisor's and ask who they might suggest could help speed things along. However, for now I suggest you sit tight for a day or two and at most email your advisor to express your anxiety. I am sure this will work itself out.

I did. She has not gotten back to me which of course I expect because she is busy and its been a day. I have also emailed the individual in charge of the program and I am waiting to see what this person says. This course is tied to funding for another class that I need to take at the same time. (a long story; but won't talk about) This class window of enrollment is ending shortly, hence the extreme urgency. I do realize I cannot expect people to do things for me because, yeah, they have other stuff to do. But I fear that they will not do this stuff on time. Hence, my need of advice here. Again, I am sure it will work out, I am just tired of doing my job and then they wait until the last minute or not tell me something at all (which they have done) and then I get penalized for it. That is one of the reasons I need to stay on top of this situation. I am hoping I don't have to go to the DGS or department head. :unsure:

In my department, our graduate program advisor fixes these issues. We email her, she emails the department secretary and the secretary is pretty quick usually.

In the rare ocassions, that I had issues I usually followed up with the instructor of the class and ask him/her to inform the secretary by phone. Things move very slowly in my department :wacko: , typical public school.

In my department, our graduate program advisor fixes these issues. We email her, she emails the department secretary and the secretary is pretty quick usually.

In the rare ocassions, that I had issues I usually followed up with the instructor of the class and ask him/her to inform the secretary by phone. Things move very slowly in my department :wacko: , typical public school.

Well she could fix the issue but, like I said before, she is busy. I feel it will get fixed, but very late. Like when it is too late for me to enroll. I can

t do anything but wait. public school issues. :rolleyes: