Lost Accreditation

I just found out that the school I've been admitted to has lost their accreditation, although they will be appealing that decision.

I'm hoping to learn more about the implications of that tomorrow when I call the department.

I am wondering about the status of my degree if I start in a non-accredited program that later regains its accreditation before graduation. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

You should check out the ALA's webpage on accreditation. 

http://www.ala.org/accreditedprograms/faq#why_go_to_accredited_program

It seems that if you graduate from a school that is unaccredited your degree is likewise unaccredited, which can pose a problem because some employers require ALA accreditation.  I don't know what happens if you start the degree at a school that is unaccredited and then during the course of your studies the school gains accreditation....is only part of the degree accredited? Probably not, I would think in that case the degree would be considered ALA accredited, but I don't know.   Maybe you should try contacting someone at the ALA and ask them some questions.

I'm not sure how ALA handles that generally, if you're attending when a school gets accreditation, you're good. If you've graduated, you're up the proverbial creek. Likewise, if the school loses accreditation after you've graduated, you're fine.

Unfortunately for you, there's a risk that your school's appeal process will be quite lengthy because of the simple fact that it generally takes some serious work, or lack thereof, to lose accreditation. Considering how important ALA accreditation is to a lot of employers, I'd pass on the school at this given time.

Which school do you attend? It will be very helpful for us who will be applying next year as well.

Sure, send me a private message.

You should check out the ALA's webpage on accreditation. 

http://www.ala.org/accreditedprograms/faq#why_go_to_accredited_program

It seems that if you graduate from a school that is unaccredited your degree is likewise unaccredited, which can pose a problem because some employers require ALA accreditation.  I don't know what happens if you start the degree at a school that is unaccredited and then during the course of your studies the school gains accreditation....is only part of the degree accredited? Probably not, I would think in that case the degree would be considered ALA accredited, but I don't know.   Maybe you should try contacting someone at the ALA and ask them some questions.

Thanks for the tip.  I've left a message for their office and will report back with what they say.

I'm not sure how ALA handles that generally, if you're attending when a school gets accreditation, you're good. If you've graduated, you're up the proverbial creek. Likewise, if the school loses accreditation after you've graduated, you're fine.

Unfortunately for you, there's a risk that your school's appeal process will be quite lengthy because of the simple fact that it generally takes some serious work, or lack thereof, to lose accreditation. Considering how important ALA accreditation is to a lot of employers, I'd pass on the school at this given time.

What a nightmare. I was surprised to get this news yesterday, since it seems like such a great program - but what do I know!

Thanks a lot for weighing in with thoughts about this.

Edited by CaptainLola

• 2 weeks later...

It is very important to attend an ALA-accredited program. If you graduate from an unaccredited program, the degree will be considered worthless in the eyes of employers (especially librarians and archivists). If the school is unable to appeal its accreditation, you are better off attending another school (if you applied to other programs, contact their admissions offices ASAP to explain your situation and to see if they still have space to admit you for this upcoming fall). This is an action that was clearly out of your control (and thus not your fault). Otherwise, you will have to postpone your enrollment another year.

Edited by michigan girl