Statistics Co-major thoughts?

Hey guys,

I am entering into a Bioinformatics PhD program that is very closely related to the Statistics PhD program at my university. Our Stats PhD program is top ten in the country and both programs offer a co-major option. Given the heavy emphasis on stats coursework in the bioinformatics program, to do a co-major would only require 3 extra classes.

To me, it seems foolish not to co-major in this program as our Stats program is so highly reputed. I know it will be a lot of extra work, but I think the benefits outweigh the extra effort needed. I also really like statistics and believe it to be a very integral part of scientific research. 

What are your thoughts on this and even just generally on a co-major PhD? 

Thanks!

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - I'm thinking about doing a minor on top of an engineering PhD.  From my visit weekends, it seemed like a lot of students did something like this and it worked out, so I think it's definitely doable.  The only thing to watch out for is making sure your advisor is okay with you taking extra classes - especially if they are paying you from an RA.  I imagine if you have an external fellowship, you have more power in doing what you want.  I also did visit one program that seemed to discourage taking any classes outside of the actual requirements...it was one of the reasons I chose not to go to that school.  Anyways, I'm hoping my minor works out, so good luck to the both of us!

I would counsel against committing yourself to this. Things like co-majors and graduate minors carry virtually no weight when you're on the job market after graduating, and they limit your course options while in school. There's presumably nothing stopping you from taking those additional courses even if you're not getting an official "co-major", and if you take a couple of stat courses and decide it's not for you, you won't have to slog through another one just to complete the co-major requirements.

Edited by cyberwulf

Thank you, both, for the advice.

cyberwulf, why would you say that a co-major carries virtually no weight? Wouldn't a major in something different expand your knowledge base and thus your options when applying to jobs? I mean, if I had a co-major in two subjects, wouldn't it be easier for me to apply to both academic (or industry) jobs in both of those fields as opposed to being limited to just one? I mean, I guess in general it seems more cumbersome and not worth it, but considering my specific situation in which there are very few extra classes needed and the program is so highly regarded, I just don't understand why one wouldn't pursue such a degree? I'm curious on your thoughts about this and appreciate anything you have to share :) 

cyberwulf, why would you say that a co-major carries virtually no weight? Wouldn't a major in something different expand your knowledge base and thus your options when applying to jobs? I mean, if I had a co-major in two subjects, wouldn't it be easier for me to apply to both academic (or industry) jobs in both of those fields as opposed to being limited to just one? I mean, I guess in general it seems more cumbersome and not worth it, but considering my specific situation in which there are very few extra classes needed and the program is so highly regarded, I just don't understand why one wouldn't pursue such a degree? I'm curious on your thoughts about this and appreciate anything you have to share :)

In theory, "expanding your knowledge base" is a nice idea, but in practice these labels don't mean much. People hiring for academic and industry research positions care about what you've done, not the words which are printed on your degree or resume (this is because, unlike entry-level hiring, there are usually a small enough number of qualified applicants that each one can be evaluated in some detail). To give an example, someone graduating with a PhD in "vanilla" comp sci working with an advisor who is well known in statistical machine learning would likely be better positioned to land a stats-oriented position than someone who completed a stats co-major but did their dissertation in, say, operating systems.

I'm all in favor of learning about areas which will make you a more well-rounded researcher, but do it because it gives you essential skills, not for the sake of being able to check off a box on your graduation paperwork.

Oh, yeah, I mean I completely agree with everything you said. It's good to hear such things from someone else. Thanks for the advice and suggestions!