Stress related to prep into PhD program

GodelEscher

Just sending out some good vibes to those stressing about starting there PhD programs- Any positive encouragement you would like to share?

Mine- Appreciate what you have and be hopeful for the future. It won't be easy but it will be worth it! 

Oh and...Dance a little, it might help the stress!

Thanks, this is much appreciated! I have been excited throughout the entire process, however the reality that I will be a graduate student in just a month has started to set in, and I am facing serious anxiety. I have to remind myself that they chose me for a reason right? There's no way I could fool 18 PI's and ad com members at three schools right? I can do this. We can do this!

Same feelings.  I'm moving to my new town and school a few months early to get ahead of the game, start reading up on the first few courses I'll be taking, and hit the ground running with all the paperwork and training needed before I can start doing full time research. 

Anxiety and excitation about the move has peaked, and I'm jsut relaxing and trying to enjoy the fact that all the work for the past few years paid off. Finally doing what I want to be doing. 

I'm feeling the same way.  I even asked myself if I had any reasons not to go for it... I couldn't come up with any.  I think I finally understand the feelings watching the NFL/NBA  draft now.  You're excited that you have this opportunity to compete and grow at a whole new level, but there's so many expectations by others and yourself.

My approach is to go full immersion in the first semester.  Just devour everything I can learn, spend as much time in the lab as possible, and not be afraid to call my friends currently in grad school for advice.

I have to move half way across the country...quite literally.

Before moving out, I've decided to start a new exercise regiment where I strength train 4-5 times a week.

Well, I look good at least lol

I found a place to live and my family has decided to help make the move with me so we're planning a road trip :)

I was excited and not stressed until I got the orientation program for my new school. Then it hit me that I'm going to start in just a couple of months and I started getting anxious and stressed. There's no reason why I shouldn't be confident that I can do this, but there's still that niggling fear in the back of my head.

Oh well, nice to know I'm not alone and that this is probably just a normal reaction to big change. Good vibes and confidence to all fellow anxious new grad students :)