Tough question in TA interview

msb2012

Hello,

I have a TA interview soon, I have BSc from the same college, My GPA is the highest among all applicants. My relationship with the dean and department's chairman is good. But, there is a tough and embarrassing questions that cause me uncomfortable before the interview.

I graduated since March 2012, and still unemployed. I don't know how to respond to this question. Actually I was aiming to be TA, but there were no vacancies at all in my college when I graduated. In addition, I didn't get a good chance in labor market.

please help me.

note: It's not American University

Well, different people handle such a situation differently. Someone like me would say I was involved in some research project - if I really was involved that is - or, would just say that there were no vacancies when I graduated and I am willing to take the first opportunity that comes my way. 

I have not been unemployed long term, but I have been underemployed since graduating with my B.A. seven years ago. I try to address it realistically but positively. Even when I'm not asked, I will address it. For instance, when an interviewer comments on my "interesting" job history- and they do, because I have had a couple of jobs unrelated to my degree- I will say that my resume is a combination of the challenging job market/tough economy and my particular interests. Despite the underemployment, I have kept busy with school, part-time jobs, and research projects, and I focus on how I have continued to pursue my interests. By the way, two out of three times I answered that way, I was offered the job.

Focus, then, on how you have been pursuing your advanced degree, and any other projects or work that relates to that.

I'll talk about my preparation for GRE and TOEFL. Since I aim to be TA and start high studies. It was a good chance to focus on the preparation to be ready to apply for master programs