Motivation

Cesare

How does one get re-motivated to study for the GRE again after receiving rejections, wait-lists, and un-funded offers. I'm having a really hard time with it. 

Although I haven't applied yet, I perfectly understand how you feel. The GRE can make our efforts seem useless, especially when you don't see your scores go up as much as you want. This may seem like a cliche, but I believe you should try to maintain a positive attitude towards the test. It is certainly easier said than done, but losing motivation won't help you at all.

I took the GRE last year and my math score was dismal, so I decided to postpone my applications for this year's fall.  This weekend I felt really demotivated after taking a practice test and scoring very poorly in math. I recomposed myself in the last couple of days and will keep doing my best to improve my score until it's time to retake the test. There's a bit of  randomness involved on the GRE which can be quite frustrating. 

You should consider that you were offered admissions, although not funded ones. This is a valuable accomplishment, since there are hundreds of people every year who don't even get to be offered an admission at all. Graduate school is a once in a lifetime experience and the best thing we can do is to put all our efforts to achieve our goals. If this is really your dream, give it another chance and go for it with all you've got. 

You should consider that you were offered admissions, although not funded ones. This is a valuable accomplishment, since there are hundreds of people every year who don't even get to be offered an admission at all. Graduate school is a once in a lifetime experience and the best thing we can do is to put all our efforts to achieve our goals. If this is really your dream, give it another chance and go for it with all you've got. 

Thanks for this! You are right. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and move on. I finally received noticed yesterday that I was rejected for funding and the moment I heard I opened a GRE prep book and started working through problems as I was sobbing. Pathetic really. 

Excellent

Stay motivated, and then for those that rejected you, show them the excellent potential student they missed out on when they are fighting to have you accept their offer.