MS Industrial Engineering Decision

illousion

Hi everyone,

I am an international student and have been admitted to the following MS industrial engineering programs

University of Texas Dallas (MS Supply Chain)

New Jersey Institute of Technology

Oregon State University

Arizona State University

University of Houston

I am thinking finding jobs in the field of operations research or supply chain analysis, could anyone give me some insights and comments? Thanks.

First question: do you have funding at any school?

I will assume no funding... I might be somewhat biased considering I am going there for my PhD, but I would say ASU would be your best bet. They are definitely the best of the IE programs and are top notch in applied OR (e.g. in logistics, SCM, & healthcare). Additionally, I think an MS in IE might hold more weight, especially for technical positions, than a master's in SCM. ASU also has one of the best SCM departments of any business school where you can get a dual degree in IE and an MBA. See http://wpcarey.asu.edu/mba/online/academics/mba-mse-ie.cfm for more details. That might be an option for you as well. Or you could probably at least take a few MBA level SCM courses while doing your MS in IE.

Edited by efh0888

First question: do you have funding at any school?

I will assume no funding... I might be somewhat biased considering I am going there for my PhD, but I would say ASU would be your best bet. They are definitely the best of the IE programs and are top notch in applied OR (e.g. in logistics, SCM, & healthcare). Additionally, I think an MS in IE might hold more weight, especially for technical positions, than a master's in SCM. ASU also has one of the best SCM departments of any business school where you can get a dual degree in IE and an MBA. See http://wpcarey.asu.edu/mba/online/academics/mba-mse-ie.cfm for more details. That might be an option for you as well. Or you could probably at least take a few MBA level SCM courses while doing your MS in IE.

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any funding, I think funding is giving to PhD only, at least for many research-based universities. After I saw your comments I might choose ASU to start with my master degree, in addition, I hope I could find some IE internship at Phoenix city...

Just a little bit worried about the information system courses, since I don't have any computer science background, but ASU requires to take at least one information course. Anyway, are you going to ASU as well?

You are correct in that funding is generally reserved for PhD students. However, I did my MS at UCF, which was ranked #35 in IE this year by US News, and was fortunate enough to get funding, albeit by TAing for the business school.

Yes, I am going for my PhD at ASU. We also have to take an IS course as part of the core, but ours (IEE 605 Foundations of Information Systems Engineering) really focuses on data mining and algorithms, so the course name is somewhat misleading. If you have any deficiencies, which would be indicated on your acceptance letter, then you will need to take those before taking any grad courses that require those prereqs.

Have you ever taken even just like an intro to programming or intro to CS kind of course? If you are really worried, maybe you could look into a free course on Udacity/Coursera/EdX. All three have courses in CS at the beginner level.

Edited by efh0888

Though I got another admission from UIC today, I think I'll go to ASU too. I do have one deficiency, which is Stochastic Operations Research, because I change major from business to industrial engineering. Currently I am reviewing Hillier & Liebemann for the incoming test on Aug 19.

Thanks your advice, I'll look up those CS courses via Coursera. I hope I can conquer the information system course. Do you mind telling me your research interest? Other than IS, I actually have interest in OR, PSL, and Industrial statistics track. Maybe I should decide my interest after first year...

Sure, right now I am between OR/PSL and Industrial Statistics. Most likely, though, I will end up doing OR/PSL, since I am most fascinated by topics in Transportation, Healthcare Operations, Logistics and SCM.

Edited by efh0888

• 2 weeks later...

An important aspect to consider should also be the starting salaries vs. student debt on graduation for these schools. Here's an infographic from GraduatePrograms.com that summarizes this information well. 

https://www.facebook.com/GraduatePrograms/posts/522839044446472

Like them to continue to receive news and updates about Graduate Programs.