Jump to content

Job Decision Inquiry


Recommended Posts

I am not sure if this is the area to put this in.....


Anyway, I applied for a job in February and interviewed in March. I had to email to see if I got the position and I was told they would tell me 'this week' which was last week. I would like to know if I had this position because as much as I want this position, I have other jobs and opportunities I can apply to during my grad studies. I would like to call this time and I was wondering what is the best way to approach this conversation where I don't seem to pushy or forward. In addition, should I directly call the person in charge of the decision or the office?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they said they would have the decision by the end of this week that just ended yesterday, I would give them until Wednesday before you followed up. You never know what might push these decisions back, be it a big project that blew up or a hiring manager who was out with the flu. Sometimes companies just don't work as fast as they think they're going to.


That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with following up via phone if you don't hear anything on Monday or Tuesday. I would go to the person in charge of the hiring. Perhaps frame it by saying that you're still extremely interested in the position and ask if they need any more information from you as they make their decision. If they say no, then it leads naturally into the question of when the decision will be made. 


If they give you another bogus date and still don't reply, I would say move on with your employment search. If they're unorganized enough in their hiring to operate like that, then they're probably not that great to work for, either. Also, there's nothing wrong with putting in applications at other places while you're waiting to hear. They haven't taken you off the market, so keep looking until they do! 


Anyway, that's just my two cents. Best of luck to you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would never wait on applying to other job opportunities, even if you are waiting to hear back from a job.  If they don't call you before another company does, it's their loss.  You have to look out for yourself, so keep applying and keep looking for the next opportunity.  You should NOT hold out hope that you'll get the job and hold off applying for anything else... that's shooting yourself in the foot.  That being said, if they said they'd notify you by a certain time, and they have not, I think you're within reasonable expectations to call them Tuesday (this is a holiday weekend) and see what's going on with the decision on the candidate for the job.  Best of luck to you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use