Joining NASW

Good evening, all!

Since application season is coming to an end and most of us have chosen our MSW program, I wanted to start a topic about NASW. Have any of you joined yet? My local NASW chapter's annual conference is in September, so I was curious when it would be appropriate to join.

For those of you already in graduate school for social work and/ or working in the field, how beneficial has NASW been for you?

Thanks!

You can become a member during the school year or post-graduation. The student membership is reasonably affordable. If you maintain the membership for two consecutive years, you can keep the student rate in your third year after graduation.

Keep in mind though that NASW (in its current structure) primarily provides resources for clinical social workers. Macro-practice social work students will be better off registering with the Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA) or the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE -- I highly recommend CSWE to students who specialize in social justice education). I used to have student membership with NASW, but dropped it two years later when I was less than satisfied with their sparse offerings for macro practice.

Edited by michigan girl

Thanks Michigan Girl! I am a Macro Practice student so I definitely appreciate the insight on these two organizations.

You can become a member during the school year or post-graduation. The student membership is reasonably affordable. If you maintain the membership for two consecutive years, you can keep the student rate in your third year after graduation.

Keep in mind though that NASW (in its current structure) primarily provides resources for clinical social workers. Macro-practice social work students will be better off registering with the Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA) or the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE -- I highly recommend CSWE to students who specialize in social justice education). I used to have student membership with NASW, but dropped it two years later when I was less than satisfied with their sparse offerings for macro practice.