Staying in or dropping out, please help

lidamau

Hello,

I had applied to four graduate programs and ended up getting accepted to one. After touring the school, I really disliked it, but decided to go ahead and enroll anyways out of fear of the alternative. Now that I've started up, I'm realizing that I'm not enjoying my research, the program feels wrong, and I'm having massive ammounts of anxiety. I'm leaning heavily towards dropping out, but am afraid of the sense of failure, and the ability to get into another school down the road. If my gut is telling me to leave should I do it, or stick it out for the sake of getting the degree.

It sounds like you already know what to do. If there is no academic penalty at this point (if you can drop out without failing any courses) I would listen to that gut instinct, leave and reapply to other places next year.

Take it as an opportunity to better research the places you want to go to, work on strengthening your competitiveness as a candidate, and save extra money for your studies.

If you'll leave a negative academic track record, then finish the semester as best as you can and quit at the end of the term, so that this experience doesn't lessen your chances of getting in somewhere else next year . 

Edited by jenste

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use