Fall 2014 Applications

architecture 604

I am in a similar situation Assassina... but I am tackling a pretty huge reading load in the meantime as well... I think I will be working on a whole new writing sample also.

I have figured out most of the schools I will be applying to, though am still considering a few more.

Best of luck!

I am in much the same situation. I wonder though, is it common practice to tune your writing sample to fit with your application? I am unsure whether to write a new sample or to select from my existing work.

Good luck with everything!

I would think twice about doing a whole new writing sample. In the first place, will be able to have a professor (or two) look it over and comment on it? Second, will you actually have the time to write a good one? I mean, where you're in college your job is to research and write papers; doing that outside of that context might be more difficult than you think. Finally, keep in mind that by the time you finish writing your new sample, you probably won't have enough time to edit and revise it with the proper amount of critical distance before you have to submit your application. Don't underestimate this: you'd be shocked by how bad a paper you thought was good when you wrote it looks when you read it again after a year. Revising an already-written paper will allow you to fix flaws that only time can reveal and to add insights that only having worked through your first ideas earlier can allow.

Also, to answer your other question, I'm not sure how you'd tune your writing sample for various applications. You want a good representation of your interests and approach. That should be the same, I would think, for every program. Try to be honest about what you want to do as an art historian and how you want to do it. Tailoring your approach to fit what you think some professor might like is a recipe for mediocre scholarship. 

Edited by condivi

Thank you for your reply. To clarify, I wasn't suggesting that a sample should be 'tuned' to what a certain professor might like, nor was I intending to adapt my writing sample for different applications. Perhaps this was a poor choice of words on my part. My (implicit) question was rather, whether, in a case where your proposed field of study is somewhat different to that of your previous research (I already have an MA), you should provide a writing sample that reflects this rather than rely on your previous work. I was really wondering what was common practice as I am an applicant from the UK where we have a very different process.

However, your answer has confirmed what I had suspected -  that my time might be better used reworking my existing writing- so thank you for highlighting this here.

Ah, I see. Ideally, your writing sample would have something to do with your proposed area of research, even if only tangentially. So, for example, if you wanted to work on twentieth-century art, it would be best to submit a paper on a twentieth-century topic. Even better would be if the paper spoke directly to your specialty and your approach. If that's not possible--and it isn't always--submit your best work, and explain in your personal statement how and why you've changed your area of focus, and, if possible, try to show how your previous work as embodied in your sample has informed your current interests/approach/etc.

Ah, I see. Ideally, your writing sample would have something to do with your proposed area of research, even if only tangentially. So, for example, if you wanted to work on twentieth-century art, it would be best to submit a paper on a twentieth-century topic. Even better would be if the paper spoke directly to your specialty and your approach. If that's not possible--and it isn't always--submit your best work, and explain in your personal statement how and why you've changed your area of focus, and, if possible, try to show how your previous work as embodied in your sample has informed your current interests/approach/etc.

I agree with Condivi! The only thing I would add is: submit your "absolutely best" piece of writing.  Last year I had the opportunity to speak with several professors in the top programs in the US, and though they offered a range of opinions regarding the content of writing samples (in terms of area of research, methodology, etc), they all agreed that one should ALWAYS send their best work - even if that means submitting a paper you wrote on "medieval manuscripts," though you are actually interested in contemporary art.

Some POIs mentioned that they actually prefer the latter since they believe it shows range -- they claim that they can get a good grasp of one's intellectual sophistication in their intended area of specialization through their SOPs.  Others (the majority) prefer to get samples that reflect the applicant's area of interest and methodological inclinations.   Anyway, I am contacting POIs this year to, among other things, ask what they would rather have.

I agree with Condivi! The only thing I would add is: submit your "absolutely best" piece of writing.  Last year I had the opportunity to speak with several professors in the top programs in the US, and though they offered a range of opinions regarding the content of writing samples (in terms of area of research, methodology, etc), they all agreed that one should ALWAYS send their best work - even if that means submitting a paper you wrote on "medieval manuscripts," though you are actually interested in contemporary art.

Some POIs mentioned that they actually prefer the latter since they believe it shows range -- they claim that they can get a good grasp of one's intellectual sophistication in their intended area of specialization through their SOPs.  Others (the majority) prefer to get samples that reflect the applicant's area of interest and methodological inclinations.   Anyway, I am contacting POIs this year to, among other things, ask what they would rather have.

Many thanks for this distinction, Brazilianbuddy. Soon, I will have an opportunity to talk with a few of the top professors in my field, and at that time, I can inquire whether or not they are open to best sample which will illustrate "range," or if they'd simply prefer the area of interest.

Speaking of that, as a prospective Fall 2014 applicant, I'm still open to any insights to make the most of