In a pickle...

jferreir

1st Choice: No word yet.

2nd Choice: Wait-listed (decision to come in mid-April).

3rd Choice: Accepted (April 6th deadline).

I don't hear back about external funding until the end of April. So, is it acceptable to:

(1) Ask for an extension on the response deadline?

(2) Inquire about additional funding?

My "backup" school simply can't afford to fully fund their MA students, so I can only get partial coverage. Even with that, I really don't think I can afford 2 years of study (I'm still swimming in debt). While my 1st choice guarantees full funding for all MA students, it is notoriously late with admissions (e.g. mid-April). My 2nd choice simply said things would work themselves out by mid-April.

Presumably, I will have to respond to my backup school prior to official notification from my other applications, and with no word on external funding. What would you do? WWJD?

Sure would make life easier if they would all get it together so that people didn't end up in such situations...

wish I had some advice for you ... it's no wonder that some people accept and then wind up declining if a better offer comes in.

In response to your final question, I believe that Jesus would remind your third choice that the Council of Graduate Schools gives all students the right to wait until April 15th to make their final decision (http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS ... ch2009.pdf). You might check the language to see if the resolution is enforceable. If not, then grad schools could announce acceptances in mid-February and require the acceptances to respond by March 1st, and of course that would lead to all kinds of problems with students reneging when other offers came through.

Best of luck with your decisions!

In response to your final question, I believe that Jesus would remind your third choice that the Council of Graduate Schools gives all students the right to wait until April 15th to make their final decision (http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/CGS ... ch2009.pdf). You might check the language to see if the resolution is enforceable. If not, then grad schools could announce acceptances in mid-February and require the acceptances to respond by March 1st, and of course that would lead to all kinds of problems with students reneging when other offers came through.

Best of luck with your decisions!

Unfortunately, the schools that I applied to are not part of that council, so the rules don't apply. Is there a tactful way to request an extended deadline without implying that this is my "backup/safe" school? Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for the acceptance, but the other schools are a much better fit for what I want to study (not to mention the additional funding).

I know I could reference the uncertainty surrounding external funding, but that's an issue for almost all offers of admission. It's going to be very difficult to get some answers without stepping on some toes. Right now, I feel like I'm being stiff-armed into a risky gamble...