A sudden revelation: I think I want to go to grad school! Basic help, please!

Well hey there. I am actually an undergraduate student that just finished my sophomore year of college. And after getting my first shot at valuable work experience this summer, I think I've realized that I really want to diversify my education after I get my Bachelor's degree.

I'm currently pursuing engineering in a pretty acclaimed engineering program, however my GPA isn't exactly top notch. I'm floating around a 3.1 right now, with two more years to go. Although I'm enjoying everything my engineering degree has to offer, I think I truly have a knack for finance, and after looking into Financial Engineering programs, I really have this strong desire to pursue an MFE degree, ideally at a top program in NYC. (Columbia or Baruch)

I just need a few questions and concerns of mine addressed so I know how to go about pursuing this goal!

Even if I work my butt off for the next two years, my GPA would probably not be any higher than a 3.6. Is this acceptable? What about a 3.3?

I hope to pursue this degree in Fall 2015. To my knowledge that means I would have to have submitted an application by December 2014, (at least for Columbia).

Should I get my GRE taken as soon as I can be fully prepared?

Will it be acceptable that my only valid work experience will be from internships?

Should I look into relevant research opportunities (i.e. project management or risk assessment) in order to further bolster my profile?

I apologize in advance for the plethora of questions. I just want to know if I'll be able to have what it takes to get into a good MFE program!

Thanks for your time!

what are you looking to do with your financial engineering degree?

if looking to go into industry, be mindful of the fact that the job market is highly highly saturated

As of right now, my experiences with the engineering degree I'm pursuing as well as my internship have to do with the energy industry. I'm loving the technical aspects of my engineering degree, and I'm pretty interested in the work experience I have obtained so far.

But I know there's a whole different world out there regarding the possibilities of energy commodities and the energy market. I'm hoping the combination of my experiences in the energy industry with an added financial engineering degree could really carve a niche for me in that sector, as opposed to going straight for investment banking.

I am thinking of roles in the industry that lean towards system development, structuring and valuing, or risk management. 

But obviously in this economy, one can't really afford to be too picky.

• 7 months later...