UM Ann Arbor EECS

applicant101

Hey folks.

I applied to the PhD program in CSE at UM Ann Arbor. Haven't gotten a reply yet. I saw some notifications in the gradcafe survey; a couple of people reported acceptances in late February and rejections in early March. I have received absolutely no indication of my status there, and when I called I just got the run-around.

Not sure what to make of this. I'm assuming I didn't get in, but does anyone know what to make of the situation (preferably someone with experience in this particular department)? I didn't get invited to the Rackham departmental visits in early March, so I figured I'd receive a rejection -- but since rejections were apparently sent out on March 7th, my optimistic side has a glimmer of hope.

This would be my fourth and final rejection. I just want closure now :-). If anyone can shed some light on what's going on, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hmm. In that case, to anyone that got accepted to UM Ann Arbor:

• [*:76fwvafx]It is one hour away from Flint (one of the most dangerous cities in the US).
    [*:76fwvafx]It is one hour away from Detroit (equal danger, more sparse).
    [*:76fwvafx]Michigan has terrible weather.
    [*:76fwvafx]Virtually no public transportation in the area.
    [*:76fwvafx]Ann Arbor is full of hippies. I like hippies, so this isn't a problem for me.
    [*:76fwvafx]At your graduation ceremony you are required to snatch your diploma away from a rabid wolverine.

Just kidding folks. Follow your heart. :)

I'm in the same boat, friend, I also applied to EECS CSE PhD. It seems like quite a number of us have not heard anything. It may be a wait list, but I HAVE heard that Umich's admission process is very decentralized and goes on a professor-by-professor basis. I only remember seeing 3 or 4 umich rejections on the results page, which does not sound like enough given their volume of applicants, so it's possible that those rejections were just from one or two professors.

By the way, I called the department and the conversation went like this...

umich: "CSE!"

me: "Hello, I'm calling to try to get a little information about my admission status - can you help me?"

umich: "NOPE! :) :) :)"

me: "I'm sorry to probe... I received no rejection but I know your visit weekend was earlier this month. Does this mean I don't have a chance?"

umich: "NOPE! :) :) :) Decisions are still being made!"

The kind of tone she gave me made me think many people have called with the same question.

It will be fun to see what happens!

• [*:2x6xq9rf]It is one hour away from Flint (one of the most dangerous cities in the US).
    [*:2x6xq9rf]It is one hour away from Detroit (equal danger, more sparse).
    [*:2x6xq9rf]Michigan has terrible weather.
    [*:2x6xq9rf]Virtually no public transportation in the area.
    [*:2x6xq9rf]Ann Arbor is full of hippies. I like hippies, so this isn't a problem for me.
    [*:2x6xq9rf]At your graduation ceremony you are required to snatch your diploma away from a rabid wolverine.

You are not kidding, man. I lived in Detroit and it is terrible. Walking around, I have to be aware of being robbed or bullied. There was a grad student get shot while working. I am moving out of this sucking city.

Finally, I have been recommended for admission. Details and funding info will follow.

Whoohoo!

Now I have a tough choice between UIUC and UMich and a possibility of Caltech adding to the competition later. Oh my, I almost wish to have been rejected, it would have made following 2-3 weeks much easier

• 2 weeks later...

• [*:u31i7emq]It is one hour away from Flint (one of the most dangerous cities in the US).
    [*:u31i7emq]It is one hour away from Detroit (equal danger, more sparse).
    [*:u31i7emq]Michigan has terrible weather.
    [*:u31i7emq]Virtually no public transportation in the area.
    [*:u31i7emq]Ann Arbor is full of hippies. I like hippies, so this isn't a problem for me.
    [*:u31i7emq]At your graduation ceremony you are required to snatch your diploma away from a rabid wolverine.

Ann Arbor is actually a very safe town itself. As for the public transport, I don't think it's all that bad (though not great). They have busses running between north and south campus every 15 minutes during the day and I think some of the bus system runs until 2 AM. The rabid wolvering piece is a little intimidating. I would suggest wearing thick gloves to prevent the transfer of rabies and attempting to strike the beast on the side of the head. If you can land a solid blow, it may loosen its grip on the diploma enough for you to pry it loose.

I've been accepted to CS Masters at UMich Ann Arbor with no funding (quite obviously, I suppose). Does anyone know about the chances are of getting a tuition waiver through TA/RA-ships in subsequent terms? Is it even possible or does UMich not offer tuition waivers to Masters students at all? Also, is it wise to go in counting on 20-hour-a-week jobs to pay for expenses? Are on-campus jobs easy to come by?

Thanks... *fingers crossed*