How to get into Higher Ed programs with low GPA

delaneyy

I'm looking to apply for admission or some programs for higher education/student affairs but not sure where to start because of my academic background.

I'm a few years out of undergrad and didn't do so great academically. My GPA was somewhere around 2.5, I had a history of academic probations, etc. I had a lot of personal and health issues that were detrimental to my GPA. Once I got back on my feet, I did okay. For my last two semesters of school I had a 3.3 and 3.5 GPA, but it wasn't enough to balance the earlier grades. I knew I wanted to pursue higher ed/student affairs, and I got in some pretty significant leadership experiences during my final semesters in school. But I knew grad school was out of the question with my GPA, so I've just got as close as possible to working in this field as I could without having a graduate degree. I've worked two jobs, one at a community college doing basic admissions/orientation work, and at a larger 4 year public school in the student activities department. I have great references, my experiences in the field are pretty unique, and I have a lot of connections to a good amount of Student Affairs professionals in my state from my leadership as an undergrad.

Since my undergrad GPA is so low, and my GRE scores are just average (155V, 140Q), what are my options? Are there any post-bac or nondegree type programs where I can prove my academic ability so that I can get admitted to a full program? Or is there another route I should be looking at? I'm really hoping to move forward in my career in student affairs and am very passionate about the field, but I just need to figure out how to get past my undergrad history.

One of the first things you should do is look up higher education/student affairs master's programs in the state(s) that you wish to study or work. Then, narrow down the master's programs to a list that matches your professional goals. Eliminate programs that have stringent GPA and GRE requirements (GPA > 3.0). If they offer special consideration (value your post-college work experience rather than your grades), you should include those in your list. I hope this helps. http://www.naspa.org/career/gradprograms/

Edited by michigan girl

• 4 weeks later...

Extending off of Michigan Girl's advice, I would recommend contacting the school's you are interested in directly once you've narrowed your list. Just be honest and explain your situation to them. Sometimes the schools will ask you to write about why you feel your GPA isn't reflective of your academic abilities in your personal statement. They might also want documentation of those reasons why (if you say it was because of health issues, they might want a doctor's note confirming you had health issues at the time, etc). Also, if you apply to a program that doesn't require the GRE, they might want you to send in your GRE scores anyway as additional proof of your academic abilities. Of course every program has different policies about additional info, so call or email first.

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any post bac or nondegree programs available related to higher ed. You could look at completing a second bachelor's degree to boost your GPA, but I think you have to weigh financially how worthwhile that will be in the end. I personally think you'll have more success being realistic about which programs you have the best shot at getting into in your area, then contacting them directly to discuss your situation.

In reference to the post right above mine, there are some graduate level diplomas and certificates offered in Canada (and some are online) but they're somewhat rare. If you want to consider this route, go on this link and see if there's a program that interests you.

http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/

In reference to the post right above mine, there are some graduate level diplomas and certificates offered in Canada (and some are online) but they're somewhat rare. If you want to consider this route, go on this link and see if there's a program that interests you.

http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/

The more you know! :)

If what the OP was referring to was certificate programs then yes, those do exist and some are related to higher ed. What confused me was when he said "post-bac," because my only frame of reference for those types of programs is the one my friend is in (he's a med school prospect). His program is Master's level. So I assumed a "post-bac" was different from a certificate program.

I know of a grad level certificate program in Academic Advising offered at Eastern Michigan University, however it's campus based. I'm sure others exist, it will just take some searching. However, I still think your best bet is to contact the schools and see what they recommend. I wouldn't just jump right into a certificate/post-bac assuming it will help you because you might end up spending more money in the end than you needed to.

Edited by JBums1028