School of choice for Ph.D in Electrical Engineering...

jimmy_01

If you wanted to get a Ph.D in Electrical Engineering, which school would you go to? Assume full funding for each program.  

5 members have voted

1. 1. School of choice for Ph.D in Electrical Engineering?

• Johns Hopkins University (USA)
    • EPFL (Switzerland)
    • University of California, San Diego (USA)

Umm, doesn't that depend on the field of EE you're applying? JHU is awful for VLSI but great for medical electronics, so this poll is worthless due to your lack of specificity. 

A reputable employer/industry will not know that....Generally, a department is ranked as a whole, not by sub-research catagories....QS world universities and US News ranks based on departments....So no, this poll is not "worthless."

A reputable employer/industry will not know that....Generally, a department is ranked as a whole, not by sub-research catagories....QS world universities and US News ranks based on departments....So no, this poll is not "worthless."

Wrong again... A reputable employer will likely be funding the university's research, so they know exactly what's going on. Intel funds a lot of research in the digital VLSI/Comp architecture, so they know which university is doing good work in that particular field.

I'm afraid I have to agree that the field of EE you plan to do research in is of great importance. The reputation that each school has in the eyes of a particular employer is based on how they perform in whichever field of EE the employer is doing business, and not on various ranking lists. I know of some universities that are not that highly ranked but have a very high reputation in a certain field of EE. A further piece of advice is that since all these schools have approximately the same level of reputation, what you should base your decision on is what school has the type of research you want to be involved in. I have heard this advice from countless people, and have taken it myself. Having said that, international experience and education is a good door-opener.