Publishing as an undergrad?

Is it possible to be published (sole author, not co-author) as an undergrad? What is the best way to go about trying to get published in a second or third tier journal? 

Does it help, hurt, or mean nothing on Phd applications?

Why are you trying to be a sole-author?  I can't think of the last paper I read that had only one author on it.  If the goal is to show potential programs that you have a desire and capacity to do research, being named a co-author on a paper isn't going to send the wrong message.  

You must have had an advisor that helped you with your research? Ask them if your work is publishable and if it is, work out an outline with your advisor's help. You MAY get to be first author, but if your advisor makes you even last author it still looks good that you can get a publication under your belt. A last author publication is still good as an undergrad. You don't need to be the sole author and it looks better (I think) to be a co-author (first, second, third or last are fine). I shows your can collaborate with others.

Any authorship is good for PhD applications. First author publications are worth more and I don't think sole author vs. first author is a big difference. I'm not even sure that a first author publication in a "second tier" journal is better than a co-authorship in a "top tier" journal.

Agreeing with ANDS!, sole-author publications are rare, but again, that might depend on field. I do not usually see a sole author paper from someone who doesn't already have a PhD. There are plenty of very important sole-author papers though, but mostly from established scientists -- here's an example I recently read: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/307/5709/546.full.html

There are lots of sole-authored papers in my field. If you can have one, that's great for PhD apps. However, a second- or third-author publication in a major journal will probably do you just as well, if not better, than a sole-authored paper in a lower tier journal. The two main advantages you can gain from having a publication are (1) the experience, which will go a long way towards establishing fit and a sensible view of grad school, and (2) strong letters of recommendations from your (professor) collaborators or your advisor. If you do the whole thing solo you might get into a lower tier journal and that's not in vain but if I were on an adcom I'd wonder about your ability to take guidance, get your work into the best shape it can be in and get it in the best venue it can go in. I'd also question your judgment in not using this opportunity to get a good letter of recommendation from a professor. So, I'd recommend consulting with your undergrad advisor before jumping the gun and not being that worried about having a collaborator. Any publication you get before even starting grad school is simply icing on the cake.

I have a second author publication that isn't even in my field. Any publications at all that occur during your undergrad are going to look great on your application, even if they're not 1st author.

As fuzzy, I have read LOTS of sole-authored papers and I do not find it strange. I published two papers as an undergrad and gave three conferences, all of this was in my super senior year (here, after fulfilling the required coursework you begin to research for the thesis, which took me around three years so I was quite 'mature' about my ideas). 

Actually, my first publication was in a book compiled by my advisor so you want to talk this things with him/her, they are the best people to advise you in this matter (sorry for the repetition). 

:D