Field Experience and Application Process

Historydoctor13

Hi there,

I am applying to the history graduate program which is offered at York University and the University of Toronto. I have been teaching high school history fulltime at a major school board for the last six years. Will this experience increase my chances of getting into Grad school? And are these two schools very difficult to get into? I'm stressing about the application process.

Thanks

I don't know if it will "increase" your chances, but it doesn't hurt, especially if you are going to have to TA at some point. In speaking to some POIs it seemed that they liked that I wouldn't have to learn how to teach so I could focus on my research.

That said, having that background will be a huge help once you're in. I taught for several years as well, and it was definitely helpful in terms of content knowledge. They say that the best way to learn something is to teach it and it's true. I feel very comfortable in areas outside my specialty. Also, if you taught history you probably had to teach writing, and if you've done that then you are probably a good writer yourself.

Hi there, I am applying to the history graduate program which is offered at York University and the University of Toronto. I have been teaching high school history fulltime at a major school board for the last six years. Will this experience increase my chances of getting into Grad school? And are these two schools very difficult to get into? I'm stressing about the application process. Thanks
I think your experience teaching could help to differentiate you from other candidates that may have otherwise similar qualifications, though the deciding factors in getting an admission offer will almost certainly be your writing sample, LORs and SOP. Admissions boards will want to know more about your research background, interests and proficiency than about your teaching. I confess, I know very little about York, though I have researched UToronto extensively (I am applying in the fall as well). It is in the top 25 universities in the world for graduate study of history; so it is certainly competitive. What is your focus?

I agree with both responses. 

I have 10 year teaching experience and got offers from several programs. Now, clearly I was not accepted because of my teaching experience, but I suppose it showed I can 'manage' deadlines, corrections, planning, and assessment quite effectively (at least in theory, hahaha ;)