Applying to multiple departments within the same institution?

Yetanotherdegree

I want to do doctoral work focused on Christianity in late antiquity. It fits in neatly with the programs at a Divinity School. It would also fit in with religious studies, classics, and maybe even history.

Is there any reason for me not to apply to up to four different doctoral programs at the same institution? Anything I need to know before I go ahead and start applying all over the place? Assuming, of course, that I can make a case for being a good fit in each of the programs...

Edited by Yetanotherdegree

I don't necessarily see why not, except for the fact that from the Classics and History end, be sure to see what they are looking for with regard to preparation, whether they have faculty who could advise you in that area, and what approach they would take on the subject.  For Christianity in Late Antiquity, it would depend on when and where you meant, but I would guess that a lot of Classics programs might not be looking for that type of focus in a student (not that they wouldn't take your application fee), but they would also probably be looking for someone with lots of preparation in classical Greek and Latin, and would most likely focus on those languages in your doctoral work.  History programs tend also to view the study of Christianity in this period as mostly suited to Divinity Schools or Religious Studies departments, so again you may have a bit of difficulty finding someone to work with that is within a History department.  I have had a large number of friends from various big name divinity schools who have applied to history departments, and only one that I know of got into Ohio State's, and this was because there is a large degree of crossover between Religious Studies and History there. 

So, the question might better be posed back to you - are there potential advisors and foci within these programs that would be suited for what you want to study?  I know that you have mentioned elsewhere on the board that you are limited geographically, and so applying to multiple programs in this way might seem a perfect way to ensure your being able to pursue PhD work, but balance this with not wasting money on applications to departments where you'd either be a awkward or non-existent fit.  Also, don't apply to history and suggest that you could have someone from another department advise you!  In the end, if you are the most amazing student who has multiple degrees, perfect GPA, excellent GRE scores, etc. but don't fit anywhere in the department, you aren't going to be accepted.

It has always been my understanding that unless specifically invited or encouraged to do so, applying to multiple programs at the same university in the same application cycle is seen as big no-no. While you may think you're covering your bases, committees often just as easily see it as you being unfocused or unsure of your interests or disciplinary commitment.

It has always been my understanding that unless specifically invited or encouraged to do so, applying to multiple programs at the same university in the same application cycle is seen as big no-no. While you may think you're covering your bases, committees often just as easily see it as you being unfocused or unsure of your interests or disciplinary commitment.

Ugh. Not terribly surprising. Has anyone else heard this?

From the Harvard website:

"Consideration by More than One Program — Occasionally, an application may be transferred by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid to a second department that may be more suitable to the applicant’s academic interest. Candidates for admission to member programs in the Harvard Integrated Life Sciences (HILS), may also apply to more than one program (see following section).

The Graduate School does not recommend submission of more than one application. However, if you choose to submit multiple applications (up to a limit of two), the applications may not share any item. Each application must have its own transcripts, recommendations, financial data, test scores, etc. All supplemental materials must be scanned, uploaded, and attached to your online application.

It is Graduate School policy that an individual may submit only one application per program.

It is Graduate School policy that an individual may submit no more than three applications during the course of his or her academic career."

The rest can be found at: http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/prospective_students/application_instructions_and_information.php

Oh, but it's more complicated than that, because, at least at Harvard, the Divinity school is semi-independent. So, this past application cycle I applied for a GSAS PhD (History), a Div school ThD, and a Div school MTS. 

This also brings out the point that applying to different degrees is generally not problematic. Applying to different departments absolutely is. I think it's a pretty good rule that if there are more than two professors you really want to work with - have as your adviser - at any given school, then you're not nearly as focused as you need to be for PhD apps. At each institution, apply to the department with the professors you most want to work with.