English, M.A. + Teaching Certification

Hi there,

I was reading posts here a few months ago, but that was very early in the deciding-what-to-do process then so I did not post any Qs. 

I'm wondering now if anyone knows of an English M.A. program that also leads to teaching certification... From what I've seen, the programs with certification are usually run through the education department, but I'd like to keep the door open for a future PhD in English Lit. Does anyone know of such a program?

Any info. is appreciated! I'm taking the GRE next week and the pressure is mounting to decide which schools will receive my scores.

Thanks!

It really depends on the state and their particular path to certification, whether they use the Praxis, etc. I know that there are many English departments (such as mine) that offer an English education program that sets you up for certification but are not certification-granting themselves. (Here's the website for Purdue's just to get the flavor of what I'm talking about.) Bear in mind that most states (and maybe all?) allow people with content-area MAs and PhDs to get certified, not just with education degrees, and sometimes these degrees are favored on the job market. Finally, if you were to get an MA in Education with a focus in, say, secondary English, there are many PhD programs that would consider your application. Hope this helps.

Edited by ComeBackZinc

Thanks ComeBack, so you're saying that even if I end up with a M.A.T. I could still get into a PhD program in Lit eventually (even if it's not run through the english dept.)? This was my primary concern in getting an MA with teaching emphasis instead...

Hmm, so a program can "set you up for certification---does that mean that you would need more schooling (and therefore more cash) in order to be certified/before getting a job?

PS: I'm currently in FL but I'm looking for MAT or teaching cert. out west preferably Oregon/Washington State/Cali.

So many questions--my apologies for knowing so little about this topic! 

I mean, it's going to depend on the individual department, of course. But it's not unusual for people who have MAs from disciplines outside of English to get into English PhD programs, provided that your MA coursework has classes that make at least some sense for lit, your writing sample shows that you can write about it, and your SOP reflects someone who has the requisite knowledge and applicable interests.

As far as certification goes, it really depends a great deal on the particular state. My advice would be to look at the teaching certification and credentials necessary in those three states and see what they're requirements are. As far as I know, there's no programs that you can go to that would result in your having a certification that you could take to any state. That's why ed programs tend to be so locally focused. Some states will let you immediately take the Praxis, I think, while others will require another step to state-specific certification. Bare in mind too that few states require the completion of a masters before you start, but many require that you demonstrate progress in one over time, or that you have one before you are eligible for certain types of promotion, tenure, and pay rates.

Anecdotally, I got into UT with an M.Ed in secondary English and a BA in English and Sociology/Anthropology. For me, it was actually even more helpful as it opened the door to more challenging (and better paying) teaching positions. Certification varies from state to state so unless you intend to stay in the same state no matter what, you may need to reapply anyway. Having the M.Ed. or M.A.T. is very helpful in fulfilling the certificantion everywhere, as far as I know though.

I mean, it's going to depend on the individual department, of course. But it's not unusual for people who have MAs from disciplines outside of English to get into English PhD programs, provided that your MA coursework has classes that make at least some sense for lit, your writing sample shows that you can write about it, and your SOP reflects someone who has the requisite knowledge and applicable interests.

As far as certification goes, it really depends a great deal on the particular state. My advice would be to look at the teaching certification and credentials necessary in those three states and see what they're requirements are. As far as I know, there's no programs that you can go to that would result in your having a certification that you could take to any state. That's why ed programs tend to be so locally focused. Some states will let you immediately take the Praxis, I think, while others will require another step to state-specific certification. Bare in mind too that few states require the completion of a masters before you start, but many require that you demonstrate progress in one over time, or that you have one before you are eligible for certain types of promotion, tenure, and pay rates.

Oh! Ok, I see. Better to focus then on specific locations and learn the intricacies of their certification processes. Ok, got it. I suppose then, it's much better for me to apply to M.A.T. programs (instead of just M.A.) since it won't hurt my chances of acceptance into a future PhD program. Whew! That takes a load off my back--as a family we want to get the hell out of Florida (no offense to anyone that loves living here, it's just not for us) and where we move depends on which school accepts me for graduate studies. The M.A.T. plus cert. means more stable employment for me sooner than with the M.A. that leads to PhD. And I am passionate about teaching (in all its forms, even H.S.) 

And thanks for sharing, Guate :)